Self harm is a coping mechanism that helps deal with emotional or mental pain. No matter how brief, the physical pain from cutting alleviates the pressure brought on by other factors in life. Everyone has a coping mechanism. Some drink, some do drugs, and some have less serious ways of helping them through the day. It's not pathetic or weak; it's a response triggered by reality for a large group of people.

Best Answer

No, and those who think it is, don't know anything about self harm or depression.

Best Answer

I don't think it's pathetic at all, everyone has their own ways of dealing with things, though in my opinion I don't exactly like that way... Also there are of course some people who do it for attention (everyone does something for attention at some point in their lives) no offense to anyone of course, but those who do it purely for attention are the truly weak ones in my eyes.

Best Answer

I don't understand how this helps anyone? Please help me understand ? If I cut myself I'd feel more ******..

Best Answer

It helps me feel like I have control in my life. It's something I can actually control.

Best Answer

No offense, but that's pathetic, you risk cutting up a vein and physically harmful yourself for control? Everyone has control because we all have a choice, even if you're being abused, you can actually do something about it and call the authorities. I think it's a sign of weakness. I don't want to come off being rude but my best friend cuts herself and she says it for the same reason but I don't think it's valid, to cut yourself is a symptom of a mental disease because even if I wasn't a medical student, I know that it goes against the body's natural defence system to harm yourself, its not safe (you can easily get diseases and infections) and it's just unnatural.

Best Answer

Sorry, I know my response seems rude but I was mainly angry think back to my friend.

Best Answer

Okay, first of all, you don't know my story. And I'm not going to sit here and explain myself to someone who is totally bashing me. I haven't cut myself for six months now. It's hard to stop. It's addicting. Would you just tell someone to stop smoking because it's bad for you? It may be true but it's hard to do! And I do get control out of it. It releases endorphins that make be feel good. And it makes me feel better. I can look at every scar and remember what I was feeling when I got it. It makes me feel good. You don't have to agree, but that's how I feel, and I would appreciate it if you wouldn't bash it and make me feel worse. Thank you.

Best Answer

yes, and i dont understand how they can enjoy it since cutting is painful not to mention they can cut an artery by mistake

Best Answer

It helps me feel like I have some control in my life. It's something I can control for once.

Best Answer

I don't care what people think, I'm gona do what makes me feel better. I do it on my legs so I don't hurt the ones I love, no one in my RL knows I do it.

Best Answer

Better them than you? *cynical response*

Best Answer

No. #y u do dis

Best Answer

It is definitely a sad one. I get the impression it doesn't work very well.

Best Answer