It very well can be. You can't work with an almost complete absence of energy and motivation.

Best Answer

That's how I feel all the time--and trying to put on the "I'm fine" act, takes so much out of me. I've gone through this my whole life and at 58---I feel like I just can't do it anymore. Nothing left inside.

Best Answer

There's medication for EVERYTHING these days, ... No EXCUSE

Best Answer

It's always the people who know the least who say the most. Please don't comment on topics that you don't understand.

Best Answer

I've tried the meds---I had too many bad side effects---and besides that, Mr. Smarty Pants--didn't you read that I have NO health coverage-so I CAN'T AFFORD A DOCTOR OR MEDS!

Best Answer

yes because of the side affects of the meds

Best Answer

Each case is different. For me no because I remain very functional but may people don't even get out of bed to use the bathroom.

Best Answer

Where I come from, it might

Best Answer

Chronic depression has been linked to genetic mental illnesses like bi-polar disease, head injuries, and PTSD which can also cause dramatic physiological changes in the brain. It remains one of the most difficult to treat problems, but there is hope on the horizon with the rapid advances being made in brain scan research.<br />
Depression is thought by some to be related to the fight-or-flight response. The tendency of wounded and sick animals is to seek out a quiet hiding place where they can lay around for days on end licking their wounds. Depressed individuals complain they lose interest in doing anything and don't even want to get out of bed to go to the bathroom. The US federal government recognizes chronic depression as a valid reason to be on disability, but like back injuries and other difficult to diagnose conditions they take precautions to weed out people faking the condition.

Best Answer

No

Best Answer

I think so. But sometimes I wonder about it.<br />
I have been in a deep depression before. Black and feeling like nothing. Just wanting to sleep all the time. But I realized that I had to get up and do certain things. I had to get up and take care of the baby. I had to get up and wash clothes and eat and use the bathroom. I just had to do it. So in spite of the depression, I did. I can't know everyone's situation or outlook or strenght, but I wonder...if someone had come in and said that I didn't have to do those things....that they would do it all for me, would I have gotten out of the slump as quickly? I know that some "down time" was helpful when I just wanted to rest, but I think it was a good thing that I had to get it together. I was a bit forced into it.<br />
So. I think there are cases of depression where it is debilitating- and probably worse than my case was. But I think that having someone else pick up the bill or take the responsibility for meeting your needs can be disabling in itself. It seems to me that work, and making your way, is usually what helps people find their strength again.

Best Answer

All those--have to do things, I used to force myself to do also--I just don't have it in me anymore. I'm glad to see that people are understanding about it.

Best Answer

I am glad too when the need arises. I think there's a fine line between "won't" and "can't". It's hard to know what the need is when it's all about mentality.

Best Answer

If you want to sink further into your disease and live on a very limited income.

Best Answer

Limited is better than nothing.

Best Answer

True.

Best Answer

Yes

Best Answer

yes now it is some people can't work due to it

Best Answer

Yes.

Best Answer

I did not do that, but I can see how it could be classified as such. It can take you right down to the ground and keep you there for years.

Best Answer

Been there for years--just try to be an Oscar winning actress for the rest of the world.

Best Answer

It was not all that long ago that all you could do was either opt out of life altogether or act. There are better treatments than ever before, and though they are not perfect, they are preferable (I think).

Best Answer

Been on three different med--between side effects and just not being effective--now what?

Best Answer

One is therapy. It may take a few tries to find the right one. Two is to be on the right meds for your problem. Dr Daniel Amen's books explain them well without boring you. Here he is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbVJwtWzTes

Best Answer

And three is maybe the oldest, hardest to begin, but then hardest to stop treatment. I know from friends who had problems back in the days when all the medicines were practically poison that this is effective -- but not by itself since you can do the other things, too. Resistance exercise, aka, weight lifting. Sounds nutty, but doctors still prescribe it. Also, I have other friends who swear by swimming, running, and cycling.

Best Answer

Still, the worst parts are that you must DECIDE every morning that you will do your steps and every night that you will not dwell on the pain or mistakes of the day, that you have learned what you can from them, and let them go.

Best Answer

For some yes.

Best Answer