A few days ago was my grandmother's funeral. Without warning, the grandchildren (about five of us) were made to pose for a photo by someone we had only just met, and told to smile. Is it just me, or is this very inappropriate? It seems a bit perverse that there would be a photo of us smiling at my grandmother's funeral, especially since we were clearly in grief. So, besides the photo being grossly insincere, it feels like we were taken advantage of at a vulnerable time and made to do something that I felt was insulting to my grandmother, may she rest in peace, and to us. Should this have been allowed?
EBflea EBflea 16-17, F 16 Answers Dec 13, 2009

i'm sorry for your loss. i guess it's an individual choice, but i don't like taking pics of dead people or posing with them and i would refuse to do so if someone suggested it. an aunt of mine wanted me to take some pics of my mom in her casket since she couldn't make it to the funeral and send them to her. someone tried to take some but it wasn't me. i couldn't bring myself to view my mom's body, let alone take pictures of her.

Best Answer

I am so sorry about your grandmother. It was not appropriate to request a picture at the funeral. I'm surprised that a stranger would do that.

Best Answer

No it's ridiculous to take photos at a funeral it's not function anymore, A photo should contain happy memories not a bad memories.

Best Answer

i started taking pictures at my my father's funeral during the repast (the meal after the funeral, usually just following the service) . i went from table to table taking pictures. since most of us are spread out over the United States, its the only time we get together. I did the same at my wife's niece funeral, i have some of the best pictures from that gathering, people are more relaxed since the funeral is over.

Best Answer

sometimes a funeral is the only time all the family members get together, so yes it is appropriate after the service.

Best Answer

I have never been chipper at a funeral...but I suppose everyone has their own opinion how to mourn or celebrate death...a couple of months ago one of my sons friends was killed in a car accident and the teen liked to party so they threw a huge party in his name...not something I would do for the loss of a child... kind of morbid in my opinion to take pictures at a funeral.....<br />
*May your grandmother rest in peace, and my you find the peace to get over this event.*

Best Answer

What...now i've heard it all....disgraceful.<br />
Sorry for your loss.

Best Answer

my dad was one of eight kids. The first born child died at the age of 62 my dad was the second born and died at 86 and the baby of the family was around 75 at the time. At the funeral pictures of the remaining 6 siblings were taken as that may be the last time they are all together till the next funeral.<br />
I thought it was a lovely idea. Funeral are a time to celebrate the deceased persons life, they shouldn't be sad, at a funeral we should be remembering the good things that have happened.

Best Answer

We had been taking pictures in funeral, I was thinking that it was not that necessary or appropriate. But mom told me that it's okay and so I believe her, and she also said that we should smile because we should be happy that my grandmother/grandfather is now in a safe place, so that's what I did and also, we don't want them seeing us in grief.

But for my opinion, I think it's really inappropriate (oh, the irony) to smile in photographs, and I think it's okay to take pictures in funeral but of course, without those unnecessary pose.

Best Answer