Like, are some people able to and some people not able to because of their genes? Are there those who CAN'T do it who WON'T ever be able to?
Brieks07 Brieks07 22-25, F 10 Answers May 16, 2010

to some degree. when I was a kid I had a speech impediment that I had to see a speech therapist for. I couldn't say my R's. "world" came out like "wald" and "girl" came out like "gall". It was corrected. ("cawected" he) In high school I took spanish and they teach you to roll your R's. I learned over time of speaking spanish a lot to do it and sound natural. But there is one thing I cannot do that I wish I could, purr like a cat! I envy people who can do that, it's cool! I can never do it right!

Best Answer

It's called the alveolar trill – rolling your “R”s. Don’t be surprised if you can’t, as many people have trouble creating the rolling R sound if they haven’t learned as a child. Certain people have trouble with it like Romanians, Swahili speaking tribes of Congo and the Aboriginal people of Australia. The French, Spanish, Italians, Russians, Bavarians and Germans use it. I'm a Spanish-speaking Hispanic and after showing a friend how, in a minute or two she rolled her “R”s perfectly. Another lady who sits by me at work does them really well. Both Caucasian. Here’s how:<br />
Use the Dracula Method: Try saying "Dracula" and see if it helps you roll the R by putting a D in front of it (think how “The Count” in Sesame Street says Drrrrracula). Touch the tip of your tongue to the bottom of your two top front teeth. Then say "Dracula" and notice the tongue moves loosely but quickly from the tips of your teeth to the roof of your mouth. If you have problems with trilling your “R”s it’s likely you’re failing to relax your tongue sufficiently. Native speakers of English tend to tense the root of the tongue (back-most portion) when speaking. You cannot roll an R if the root of your tongue is too tense, because it will make contact with the back of your throat and obstruct the airflow. The tongue should be as relaxed as possible. RRRRRRelax!!!

Best Answer

Roll your R's ???<br />
I don't even pronounce my R's...<br />
I'm from the Boston area.....

Best Answer

i do not think that it is. i was unable to roll my r's until i was sixteen. i just asked people how they did it and practiced a lot.

Best Answer

This is the bain of my existence. Everyone can do it that i know and thinks its hilarious that i cant do it. I wonder if professional help is available?

Best Answer

lots of pRRRRRRRactice can help.

Best Answer

i don't know, it comes naturally to me .. listen.. PURRRRRRRRR.

Best Answer

that is rrrrrrrrrrrridiculous

Best Answer

Yes. It is genetic.

Best Answer