MathematicallyMindedFractal MathematicallyMindedFractal 16-17, F 14 Answers Jan 6, 2013 in Education

http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/hbp/prevent/sodium/sodium.htm<br />
This site says "The current recommendation is to consume less than 2.4 grams (2,400 milligrams[mg] ) of sodium a day. That equals 6 grams (about 1 teaspoon) of table salt a day." So their interpretation, at least, is that it's the mass of sodium being taken into account.<br />
As for why, I suppose other salts are sometimes used (potassium chloride for example). Or it could be a bit like the way people talk about "carbon" when they mean carbon dioxide.

Best Answer

I don't know either, but I'd think it would be just the sodium, because salt is 40% sodium, as I suspect you already know. Is all sodium that occurs naturally in food in the form of salt or also 40% sodium? If not, how could they include the mass of NaCl under the sodium label, because then they'd have to mathematically figure the non-salt sodium contents that occurs in food naturally into the equivalent units in order to label the so-called sodium. I hope that made sense. I know what I mean, but I'm finding it difficult to explain. However I've talked to you before and I know you're smart, so I think you'll get it.

Best Answer

They're just weighing the salt they put in the food, they don't do a calculation ba<x>sed on its atomic composition.

Best Answer

I don't see why they wouldn't. I mean, it SAYS sodium, not sodium chloride. I don't care how much sodium chloride is in it, some may care how much sodium is in it.

Best Answer

Why not? It's a pretty simple calculation.

Best Answer

Sodium Chloride. elemental sodium is obviously toxic.

Best Answer

Relevant how?

Best Answer

Who cares jack la lane ate rite ate all or drank all that vegetable juice exercised daily or what ever mr fitness sell he did not luve to be 100

Best Answer

a question for the nutricionist

Best Answer

I always assumed it was the NaCl.

Best Answer

That went over my head

Best Answer

I always thought it was just the sodium, but I don't actually know the answer to that.

Best Answer

Oh my. Trying to earn my two tokens answering questions is wearing.

Best Answer