dazed25 dazed25 26-30, M 17 Answers Mar 4, 2012

I love the South (mostly) it's a cool place with great history. My Northern ancestors fought for the South in the "Civil" War , So my family has Confederate stuff around the house; I grew up learning about the war and the south. <br />
Sure the South has some backwards people, but so does New England, Midwest, and Western areas. In fact, there are Western states where people literally are not used to seeing black people, so they don't know how to act when they do. I live in Pennsylvania and there's racism here.<br />
In fact, I'd say the South isn't as racist as you'd think, BUT there still is alot of homophobia down there. That's the only thing about the South I dislike. Too many homophobes. But just like racism, homophobia is all over America too. Cities in the South are very accepting though. Even Birmingham, Alabama has a good sized gay community

Best Answer

The South is the face of Racism in the US.

Best Answer

Sounds like a person that has not traveled much across this country and actually worked in numerous states of the union. Guess you have never worked in the northeran states of New York, Jersey, or Maine. The upper east coast is the most racist place, I have ever lived. While I was there, it seemed like very racial group had racial slang words for the Chinese, Filipino, Jews, Arabs, Greeks, Irish, Italians, Polish, Puerto Ricans, and others. Talk about hate ba<x>sed upon the color of their skin, the way they dress, talk, or look, the north has the south beat by miles.

Best Answer

But have you ever lived in the South or spend any length of time there? Obviously not. Nowhere is racism more obvious and entrenched than in the South.

Best Answer

Voice, you are wrong, I was born and raised in the South, and I now make the South my Home, However, there are many people that do not consider Texas a Southern state. There are areas with pockets of racism in almost every major city I contend, especially in the lower social economical areas of cities.
I am a very mobile person, traveling thorough out cities and towns across Texas, AZ, NM, LA, OK, TN, and Mississippi. it has been a number of years since I actual spent sometime in other southern states. What I have found in many communities is that lower social economical groups often talk about racism, but when you actual spend some time with them, their probables are not due to racism, but making bad choices in life that started early in life, failure to actual learn math, science, reading and writing skills, and how to be a critical thinker. Choices we make in life come with a price, and we own them.

Best Answer

I'd have to say yes, still problems with race relations in the south.

Best Answer

No. They have made progress in the way they see non-white people but they still think that "race" is a real thing, supported by DNA and genetic behaviors (which is false, of course). And being honest here, the source of all racism in the US and worldwide is white people. Others who have become racist against whites are responding to the racism imposed (and invented by) whites in 1785. Amongst white people, it has been white males specifically who have been the agents of racism and segregation and social fragmentation as a result of racism. Johann Friedrich Blumenbach invented "race" in 1785, and was a white male. His invention paved the way for slavery, segregation, and the division of Humanity into these "races" which do not exist genetically or biologically. Just the facts.<br />
White males responding to this question on this blog are really not in any position to answer it. The South is just as backwards now as it was in the 19th century, relatively speaking with regard to the rest of the country.

Best Answer

No they aren't go to the inner city areas of the big population centers of the north east .

Best Answer

It depends on where. The south is a big place. A lot of the big cities have "progressed" quite far. Drive an hour out into the country towns, and not so much. There are still places where Jim Crow never really died.

Best Answer

It varies, but it's certainly better than it has been. Racism is everywhere. But big time, institutionalized racism is still alive and well in some parts of the south.

Best Answer

they have "reverse" affirmative action here.

Best Answer

Yes...but, yes.

Best Answer

it's better. although i fled the south with deep southern roots at 19. i live out west. i do connect almost daily, weekly with those from alabama. such incredible people there but still there is discrimination on all fronts, i feel. maybe it's me. my parents are still living. in their eighties. prejudice there but not only towards race. all facets. it's heartbreaking to me because i love alabama for other reasons.........magnolias, sweet tea, etc.

Best Answer

It gotten better(where I live is considered the south) it just certain part you go in are not so good...but I think that every where north and south

Best Answer

They are better.

Best Answer