Don't get me wrong, I do like Obama and would vote democrat over republican any day, and while I DO believe his opinion on gay marriage hasn't changed much from his early days in politics, why did he wait until just NOW to officially proclaim his stance on the issue? It seems like a card pulled out in light of the failed economy in this election year. Thoughts?
Mougywolf Mougywolf 26-30, M 21 Answers May 10, 2012

If americans are too distracted by what people do behind closed doors, they shouldn't be voting.

Best Answer

so do I, I don't understand why its a big deal actually. its not, there are other problems which blow this out of the water.

Best Answer

Obama will do anything to turn the spotlight away from his record.<br />
Also, his statement that "it's up to the states to decide" is kind of funny now that 30 states have basically outlawed gay marriage. So he's really saying he agrees with more than half the country that has disallowed gay marriage.

Best Answer

Duh. Absolutely.<br />
He is calculating how the ethnic groups that most oppose gay rights will react -- that blacks and hispanics will vote for him anyway and that the religious right would not vote for him anyway -- but this could gain him some votes with gays and with disenchanted liberals -- besides which it will help him raise campaign cash in the entertainment industry and from gays.<br />
I voted for him in 2008 and believe that I made a big mistake. I have always supported gay marriage and gay rights, but my attitude toward his announcement is "too bad you didn't have the balls to say it four years ago."

Best Answer

I kind of agree with you on that, would have been great to hear this back in '08

Best Answer

I think that it was perpetuated by the VP's remarks on Sunday. I mean Biden was asked the question he did not just make a statement. I think Obama was forced to take a direction on it and answer the question for the whole of the administration.

Best Answer

This also seems likely

Best Answer

He was pushed into a corner. The economy is still growing - slowly, but growing. over 800,000 new jobs created so far this year, which would translate into 2.4 million for the year. Not great, but given the circumstances, not bad. The growth of the economy would be much better if banks actually started loaning to small businesses again.

Best Answer

Whoa Nellie. Those aren't made up numbers from FoxNews, Limbaugh, and your boy Romney, those are directly from the US Dept of Labor. Those other sources? They aren't hogwash, they are plain "ol bullsh*it. Unemployment is dropping. It was 10%. If Obama bowed down to the draconian moves wished by the major banks and the GOP leadership and adopted austerity measures like in Europe, this country would be in a mess. Austerity has worked wonders in Europe hasn't it? The middle class and poor have been hammered by the lack of government spending and the wealthy still aren't paying their fair share of taxes. The funds applied to the economy as began by Bush (yes, I'll give him credit) and continued by Obama have actually allowed the US economy to grow while Europe has gone into a double dip recession with their austerity movement.

Best Answer

I suspect that the recent passing of Amendment One in North Carolina brought the issue back to the forefront. A few prominent people have felt the need to come forward, on both sides.

Best Answer

No, I think he just bowed to pressure and did the right thing despite possible political repercussions.

Best Answer

DUHH!!!!! EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best Answer

No, it's so he can get the GLBT vote as Romney will never get it.

Best Answer

Yeah, but what percentage of the GLBT community would actually vote Republican? I know I sure wouldn't. It'd be like the Jews re-electing Hitler, heh.

Best Answer

Mougywolf - There is actually an active and growing segment of gays in the GOP who are working from the inside to change the position on this. They are getting more powerful and visual all the time. In this particular case, the problem is that blacks and hispanics have been more resistant to gay marriage than the general population, and the GOP is trying to gain support there, so this is a case where unfortunately the Presidents move will actually set the gay agenda at GOP meetings back.

Best Answer

Of course it is.<br />
Just like the recent hooey about student loans is meant to keep the focus away from skyrocketing tuition and the unholy alliance between politicians and top educators.

Best Answer

I really don't agree with same sex marriage, it's just not right... she should go on top once in a while..?

Best Answer

becausehe's a mo fo liar,,,, and will say and/or do anything to get re elected,,,, u obviously forget ot at least overlook that BO's a ******* MUSLIM,,, they don't do GAY in any way,,, a salem malakum,,,

Best Answer

Yes.Obama is after the gay vote.

Best Answer

0bama was trolling for votes, His statement, like everything else he does, was driven by what he thinks will get him the most votes.

Best Answer

Probably. haha the government is soooooo very good at that.

Best Answer