2BnLove 2BnLove 36-40, F 23 Answers Jan 16, 2010

Your talking about secrets and lying. Well you should know the difference.

Best Answer

A lie of omission is still a lie.....

Best Answer

It depends on the situation and your intention. If your intention is to save yourself trouble or grief over something you have done that you should not have done, or did not do that you should hve done, then not telling is probably the same as lying -- your purpose is to deceive.<br />
On the other hand, if you have nothing to gain and your purpose is to protect the other person from pain or grief then not telling, while technically no different from lying, may be the right thing to do and therefore acceptable. For example, if a love one has just died and a doctor tells a loved one that the person dies quietly and without pain when in fact the doctor knows differently, its probably the right thing for the doctor to have done. <br />
Lets say as another example that I am dating someone and beginning to get serious about them. We are learning about one another. Am I obligated to tell in detail about the extent of my sexual experiences? Can I say that yes I have had "some" sexual experience with others but those are not important to me, I no longer am in touch with those people, and I am disease free; or, am I obligated to give excruciating and possibly embarrassing details that I had sex with dozens of people, I participated in group sex, had bi-sex, sex in public, etc., etc., etc. -- especially since those activities and experiences are not germane to our life together today and in the future?<br />
Yes there is a difference -- some times.

Best Answer

Depends on the situation.<br />
If somebody gives me a truly atrocious present and I can't honestly say "thank you, I love it," I say something like "I've never seen one of these before! Where did you get it?" Technically this isn't telling the truth OR lying, but it does serve its purpose in sparing and maintaining the friendship.<br />
On the other hand, if I see my best friend's husband of 15 years out with another woman when he's told her he's on a canoe trip with the guys, the only choice here is to be honest and tell her the truth. Neither lying nor simply not telling will do any good.

Best Answer

I don't think omitting details is lying. I think its the interogators fault for not asking the right questions.

Best Answer

If the liar intends to mislead the person she is "just not telling" something, there is no difference.

Best Answer

a lie is simply not telling someone and an omission is leaving someone out.

Best Answer

lying= telling things other than the truth<br />
not telling somebody something is avoiding the truth

Best Answer

yes. Big difference. To lie you must say something untrue. If no one asks there is no obligation to tell and as long as you tell the truth, you don't have to tell the whole truth unless it is asked.

Best Answer

deceit is always deceit

Best Answer

Lying is lying, not telling someone something is still lying, it's a lie of omission but still, a lie.

Best Answer

its just an other form of dishonesty not telling some body something they may need to know is just avoiding being called a lier

Best Answer

Lying is not telling the truth, and not telling someone something is leaving out the truth.

Best Answer

If are just not telling someone everything because it could hurt there feelings and break there heart than no its not lying its called protecting another heart from being broken. But if u are telling them everything but parts of the truth and channing the truth too something more is a lie!!

Best Answer

If you're implying a lie through not telling someone something then it's a lie of omission, but if you're just keeping a secret then I wouldn't say you're lying.

Best Answer

If the omission is intended to mislead, then it is a lie and there is no difference.

Best Answer

Its all in the wording!

Best Answer

Lying is cheating, Not telling means hiding, not interested on telling, or not trusting your friend, or not accepting him as your friend or a well wisher. Yes there is a difference.

Best Answer

I think keeping something from someone is a minor form of lying but i do believe there is a difference

Best Answer

Well out and out lying is telling a lie.<br />
Just not telling someone is lying by omission.

Best Answer