TheSquirrel TheSquirrel 46-50, M 1 Answer Nov 28, 2012 in Politics

it isn't price fixing, that is not allowed, but there are subsidies to support industries like dairy, wine and wheat.

Best Answer

I don't understand why the famers would complain, then, about the retail price of milk beging too low for them.

Best Answer

I knew we in the USA do it and have been doing it since the 1930s. It was bad policy then, and its bad policy now. It interfers with the very mechanism that keeps prices from becoming too disconnected from supply. I guessed the EU did as well when I saw the pictures of milk being sprayed around in Belgium. I see government meddling in agriculture as corporate welfare, or family, if the operation is small.

Best Answer

I like to compare subsidized occupations to financial analysis. No one cries if the financial analyst loses his job, least of all the analyst. His response is, oh, I should have seen that coming, better get another gig. Not so, the farmer. What makes the farmer so special? Nothing, except he wants to keep doing what he has always done regardless of how times change.

Best Answer