For Pete's Sake! Each time I try the "Official White Pages" or some other phone directory, after entering the information required (person's full name and last known city, state) in the "free" search, I get a results page that solicits for me to pay a fee for the telephone number requested or worse yet, a subscription fee to belong to their service.
DreamWizard DreamWizard 41-45, F 43 Answers May 3, 2011

just dial 411, provide name, city & state. Its a free call on your cell phone.

Best Answer

AT&T always charged me a dollar for info. listing from my cell phone.
I heard that 1-800-FREE-411 is suppose to be free.

Best Answer

You are living in the new America. Cheating ,Lying tattooed America, Quite Disgusting!

Best Answer

411 is not free. It will be charged on your cell phone bill. 1-800-FREE-411 is actually supposed to be free.

Best Answer

AnyWho.com is just a link to Intellius now, NOT free

Best Answer

It's become a big moneymaking scam. I know the name, street, and city of someone and cannot get number for free! The supposed free sites say they cannot find the number but suggest "Try our sponsors"<br />
which cost $$$

Best Answer

One workable solution is by using the phone and call 800-free-411. You sit thru a few ads, but it does get phone numbers, at least land lines. Yes, I still cant find help on the web.

Best Answer

Thanks, I'll try it.

Best Answer

AnyWho.com... worked for me to. And, I wasn't asked for a fee to get the phone number & I was not asked to pay a subsc<x>ription fee for a membership. <br />
Thanks to those of you that shared this great "AnyWho.com" site with the rest of us.

Best Answer

I think I have tried that one before but I'll try again, thanks.

Best Answer

AnyWho is NOT truly free. They found the name and directed me to Intellus, which is a pay site

Best Answer

I use Any Who. It is truly free. You get both the address and the phone number.

Best Answer

Thank You so much! I was able to get the number!

Best Answer

you guys are paid by the site to do this, like microworkers, none of them are free for me, I checked a ton of numbers, just to see.

Best Answer

Uhhh no whitepages.com is for sure NOT free! I'm with you DW, it’s absurd that you can’t simply look up any listed number!!!

Best Answer

*Try:
Free Searching.com
AnyWho.com
411.com
Spydialer.com (for cell phone only - and spydialer website will actually dial the cell phone number
and the caller can find out who answers - unless there is Caller I.D. and the owner will not answer.
Granny Gruntz

Best Answer

this is rediculous, none of those sites are free, and spydialer..com .. who doesn't have callerid on their cellphone? I have never had one that doesn't in 15 years.

Best Answer

Well whitepages.com is only free if you want an address. You have to pay for phone numbers.

Best Answer

I discovered this somehow and It gets me more info than anything that is labeled "free" the lying bas****s.<br />
Let's say you want to get a number for someone who lives in my town, Salem, MA. Google "CENSUS AND COMMUNITY PROFILE FOR SALEM MASS" SCROLL DOWN UNTIL YOU SEE "directory assistance"<br />
9 out of ten times I get the name, address and telephone number of the person I am looking for. FREE<br />
UPDATE: Damn. Sorry. Once in a while that happens.Depends on the city.

Best Answer

I did exactly what you wrote and it looked wonderful, everything you could want from that city. The page didn't have a 'directory assistance' line but they did have a 'people search'. I entered his info. but the data was then transferred to a secondary company called 'People Smart' - who came up with his info. but again wants me to pay $1.95 or $35.40 Annually to use their services of phone number databa<x>se. <br />It appears your state has a more community friendly service.

Best Answer

Anyone who says they found a site that gives free phone numbers is serving BS. The internet was useful, now it for profit. I can't blame them. But really, don't keep redirecting people to sites that charge a fee. They stopped giving people phone books, and that was that.

Best Answer

This monopoly of phone numbers and information by corporations is illegal.

Best Answer

Nope, not free! White pages.com. Just tried it.

Best Answer

ANYWHO.com works for land lines...its states it doesn't work for cell phones which the majority of us use...I still have not found one that will work (free) for all numbers or at the very least cellphones...

Best Answer

Has phone number searches turned into a scam?

Best Answer

Yes, they advertise 'Free Search' then you enter the person's name, they search it for you but if you actually want to see the search results, you have to pay. Yes, I consider that to be a scam of false advertising.

Best Answer

Exactly, DreamWizard. What a joke. Yes, they search for "free" but you have to pay to see the results. Obviously we could care less that the search is free if you have to pay to SEE what they found. This is definitely false advertising. I'm frustrated, too, as I've been searching all morning for the number of someone I need to get a hold who recently moved. And if you call the old phone number, there's no forwarding number to reach like ATT use to do. What a waste of a morning! Thanks for letting me vent!

Best Answer

Many free directories in PA.... Whitepages, Any Who, Directory Assist AT&T as of last night all free. <br />
Could be your man friend has strict private issues. Occasionally someone will not come up, but I am sure its because they have gone out of their way so their privacy is exactly that, private. <br />
Wow, you started this search almost two years ago and you still have not found a way to get his number?? Why not pay Checkmate or something like it?

Best Answer

Directory assistance from AT&T has not been free in 25 years. Directory assistance even on my AT&T cell phone is not free. That was long, long ago, my friend. When the Bell System & AT&T where split up, it changes so much. Strangely, (and I was around back then) it was much better service than it is today. Of course, most everything was much better back then.

Best Answer

NONE of those services will give you any information for free, they all make you pay for it. Either you are all shills for the pay sites, or you're too lazy to test the sites you recommend. Anyone on here who says the sites are free is LYING.

Best Answer

I agree. Every listing I tried ended up requiring a fee. What part of free don't these search engines understand? - Mark C.

Best Answer

Well, they really know how to play with words...advertise 'free' as in a free look up but if you want the actual search results from the look up, well.....that will cost you.
Yes, scam advertising. They shouldn't be allowed to do that but it appears we have 'free market capitalism' at work.

Best Answer

Murphy's Law - if it says it's "FREE", chances are, it's not "FREE" at all.

Best Answer

This isn't 'capitalism' this is profiteerism. Google should seek out and BAN urls from their search engine that bait and switch people.

Best Answer

I agree. Google should ban "free" sights that aren't "free." Can we report them?

Best Answer

*Try:<br />
Free Searching.com <br />
AnyWho.com<br />
411.com<br />
Spydialer.com (for cell phone only - and spydialer website<br />
will actually dial the cell phone number and the caller<br />
can find out who answers - unless there is Caller I.D. and<br />
the owner will not answer.<br />
Granny Gruntz

Best Answer

Spydialer.com is great but it's limited in that it doesn't give you a person's number, it just allows you to take a number to determine who is calling you without you having to use your own phone to call the number back. The system allows you to anonymously listen to the voice mail of the number who just called you, so you can determine the identity of the person or co. calling you. Also, it only works for cell phones.
However, if you are looking for a specific person, it's not a directory service, just a phone number verifying service.

Best Answer

I thought the same thing but then I went to www.yellowbook.com. There you can get the phone number and the address for free with no registration or subsc<x>ription. It is just like White Pages only truly free

Best Answer