teksing888 teksing888 31-35, M 7 Answers Oct 16, 2012 in Community

Urban myth. You can't lift a nuke. It is very, very heavy.<br />
There are however suitcase dirty bombs.

Best Answer

Almost word for word what I was going to say. What is your background?

Best Answer

I studied physics, for a while. I have a great interest in nuclear physics.

Best Answer

according to google, you only need about 11kg of plutonium to achieve critical mass...dunno what kind of yield that would give,though...fredrick forsythe did a novel about a suitcase nuke...usually, his fiction is ba<x>sed on a solid foundation...<br />
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suitcase_nuke

Best Answer

True! And since the collapse of the Gorbachev regime the KGB have reportedly LOST 20 of them.

Best Answer

It depends on how picky you want to be with the definition. If you are talking mushroom cloud bomb, no. But a plutonium mass can be brought to critical with a tungsten shell causing severe radiation damage to anyone around it for the duration of the critical state such as what happened to Luis Slotin in the accident back in 1946.

Best Answer

I think that's actually a reference to dirty bombs. They're regular explosives that spread radioactive material the way other types of bomb spread shrapnel. But maybe someone can make a small one but it takes so much work it wouldn't really make sense compared to regular bombs.

Best Answer

They're real. They're just not much of a nuke. Good for taking out a city block, but that's about it.

Best Answer