it was embraced by President Obama? This assertion just got me blocked by someone.
Rutterman Rutterman 36-40, M 2 Answers Mar 29 in Politics

Yes, this is something unknown to most Americans for whatever reason. Some of the very tenets of the ACA that republicans frequently criticize were originally added due to republican demand.

Best Answer

That's what I thought. Someone got upset when I brought it up. Surprisingly, it wasn't a Republican but a well-known EP liberal who thought it was a Republican lie. What he failed to understand is that the Republicans don't exactly go around advertising this.

Best Answer

An example of this is the idea of the individual mandate. I'm sure you've heard republicans criticize this idea a million times, but it was the Heritage Foundation - a conservative organization - that proposed the idea in 1989. The idea of the individual mandate was not only proposed by a conservative group, but it was also pushed by republican senators who viewed it as a way of circumventing employers' responsibilities in providing health insurance, and as a means to reduce the costs associated with providing emergency care to the uninsured. John Chafee was one of the senators supporting this idea, and in 93, he again introduced the individual mandate as an alternative to employer-spondered health insurance. Almost half the republican senators at the time supported this idea. Then there's the one thing that almost everybody knows about...the individual mandate that was passed in MA in 2006 by Mitt Romney (which was praised by some republicans at the time). When Obama came into office, he originally didn't even want to include an individual mandate in his health care bill, but was persuaded to do so in the hopes that including some conservative ideas would help keep the bill afloat. It's really pretty crazy that this idea has been attacked by so many conservatives. It seems that the whole political arena has devolved into a childish rivalry. The democrats and republicans might as well be the red sox and the yankees - they exist just to battle one another, and their supporters will take their side no matter what. We should just do away with political parties altogether, and force each candidate to stand for a particular set of policies, rather than with a particular group of people.

Best Answer

Very well said! Your summary of the history of the individual mandate proposal is exactly as I had understood it. Everyone who sounds off on the issue needs to have this information. Thank you for your excellent assessment and analysis. You get best answer because I don't see how anyone can possibly give a better reply to my question.

Best Answer