I praise everyone that tells their stories on EP on 'how much they help other people' and 'that other people tell them they're too good' and stuff like that...but I tend to start believing that lots of people try to do good to their environment just to make themselves feel good.
Fredisalreadyinuse Fredisalreadyinuse 41-45, M 8 Answers Jan 9 in Doing Good

Probably so, yes. I believe it's called psychological egoism. That doesn't mean that doing good is worth any less though.

Best Answer

Exactly. This kind of egoism does give the person -that does good- a moral boost I suppose.

Best Answer

That's right. There has to be something that would trigger us into helping someone. That could be something like recognition or gratitude for example.

Best Answer

this is a very good point. I feel the same way with people. I try my best to not get a thrill out of helping people...which is hard. We all want to feel good for helping..but it's the wrong reason to do it. I focus on the pain that person goes through and I help them from that - do my best to take myself out of the equation. I'm no saint though.

Best Answer

Helping others does make me feel good about myself. I do not apologize to anyone for feeling that way. I have always tried to help others in a way that they don't know who helped them. I do not do it for the praise. I do it out of obedience to a great and mighty God.

Best Answer

I'm not saying that someone should apologize Mae.
Praise you and all others that are doing good!
I'm just saying that It's kind of silly posting the whole world that you DID good...Surely it must give you great gratification in yourself that you have done good without having to let everyone know that you did. Unless you want confirmation from everyone...

Best Answer

I believe I understand, now, what you are saying. You feel that perhaps some people are just looking for attention when they post stories about their helping others. Doing good has enough reward without advertising the fact that you did good.

Best Answer

Exactly! (I knew I could explain myself with less complexity...)

Best Answer

Hallelujah! Jesus is awesome!

Best Answer

Yes, where's the joy in living if your conscience betrays you. I'm personally grossed out that anyone would disapprove of me doing things and having good feelings about my own conduct.

Best Answer

Regardless of how others think I should feel or respond, I'm happy with who I am and I tell myself that every day because I mean it and the effort I put in is plain to me. Good luck to y'all.

Best Answer

Love your name! Is it part of a song I know?

Best Answer

Yes. God of Wonders Beyond Our Galaxy. :)

Best Answer

I love that song!

Best Answer

Me too. I even had dejavu about seeing it written on a wall years ago when I traveled with my mother to a women's Christian conference as a teenager. It's always uplifting to remember what God has done for me. He has done so much for me the best part of it all is knowing that he is very much real and is willing to show himself to be true.

Best Answer

That might be an affect, but there are some who are genuinely act compassionately for others

Best Answer

It works both ways,if the person is happy and feeling good at that moment in time then i feel great too.

Best Answer

People do good for many different reasons. One reason is because of empathy, which lets us understand someone else's emotions. So people might do good because it makes the other person happy, causing you to be happy.

Best Answer

I get it, but the reason why people are so anxious to typ their 'good deeds' so the whole world can see it (on EP) kind of surprizes me...I too do good things, but I don't want to show it to other people.
I don't want confirmation or 'hearts' from 'the whole world' on EP.

Best Answer

I agree. I have seen and read a lot of good deeds lately as well. It makes me feel like it is to make themselves look good, and it doesn't truly come from the heart.

Best Answer