And in europe the accused witch's family not only had to pay all that, but also pay for the food for the judge and executioner, and for the wood they were burned with or the rope they were hanged with. By the way, the youngest accused was 4 years old (Dorcas Good).
rainbowbrat09 rainbowbrat09 22-25, F 12 Answers Nov 16, 2012 in Hobbies

The Dark Ages (still with us)

Best Answer

The whole witch hunt thing worldwide was a F**kup. Religion and culture based superstition just makes me angry because of it's narrow mindedness. I live in S.Africa and many of the local people still firmly believe in the power of traditional healers who apparently are guided by their ancestors. By western standards these people are regarded as witches. The locals call them either Inyangas or Sangomas. According to the locals there are two kinds of Sangomas, the good and the evil. The good kind apparently offer help and support from the concerned ancestors. The bad kind offer pretty much anything you desire but the price is always astronomically high, either financially or mentally. Occasionally there will be a murder which was performed by a bad Sangoma or one of his minions. The victims $exual organs are removed and used in the making of Muthi (medicine) which the customer will drink, or eat in order to receive certain magical gifts.

Occasionally there will also be a killing of a bad Sangoma in retaliation for such things.

Can you believe that sh!t like this still goes on in the world ?

Just as a matter of interest the writing on my avatar is the Theban alphabet used by witches during the witch hunts that you have mentioned above. They used this alphabet to communicate in messages to each other. But you sound like you probably know that already.:-)

Best Answer

The theban alphabet was invented by ritual magicians to keep their rituals in code. I wonder what it says?

Best Answer

It says "what?"
I like to imagine that my avatar is peeping around a corner after hearing his name being called and he is not amused by being disturbed.:-)

Best Answer

The Theban alphabet was used in the ancient city of Thebes, Greece. It is more artistic looking than the other Greek alphabet, which may be partly why witches used it.

Best Answer

It indeed sounds F***ed that they did.

Best Answer

One of my foremothers, a confessed witch who died in the Salem jail, had a bill of 2 Pounds 4 Shillings that my relatives had to pay to get her body for burial.

Best Answer

Really? Do you know your ancestor's name?

Best Answer

Ann Foster

Best Answer

There was an episode of "Who do you think you are?" where a celebrity lady traced her family tree back to one of the last people to be accused of witchcraft. They'd stopped the executions by then though and the woman lived to be in her 80's.

Best Answer

Who was the celebrity? Ann Foster was very old when she died in the Salem jail. Witches tend to live longer than other folks. Her daughter and granddaughter, also confessed witches, were later released and lived long lives. Most of my family moved to Maine after getting their women out of prison.

Best Answer

Sarah Jessica Parker (I had to look it up). Facinating show by the way.

Best Answer

I'm just plain against the entire idea of witch trials, regardless of who had to pay.

Best Answer

That's true, but it kinda adds insult to injury doesn't it?

Best Answer

Yes, but are you sure that wasn't the rule for ALL criminal prosecutions back then? If you were imprisoned for stealing, let's say, they probably also made your relatives pitch in for expenses. I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing that was the case.

Best Answer

I think that was the case. It especially doesn't make sense to me though when you figure the only evidence was spectoral evidence, in otherwords the girls who accused someone of witchcraft claimed their spirit visited them and did all this to them (thus conveinently explaining how they could continue to do so while in prison).

Best Answer

I didn't know it was just girls who were the "victims." I thought that almost anything from a poor harvest to a farm accident could be blamed on a witch. If you believe a witch put the "evil eye" on you, then almost anything that subsequently goes badly in your life could be blamed on the spell.

Best Answer

Yes, and the victems were men and women, but the girls started it. Did you know witches were sometimes accused of stealing a guy's penis?

Best Answer

Oh, I see what you mean. The Salem trials specifically were touched off by the accusations of some girls.
No, didn't know that about the penis-stealing, but it seems like the courts back then should have had at least enough sense to demand to see "proof" that the supposed victim was telling the truth about that. That they just took their word for it just goes to show you that the judges probably knew it was all a sham anyway.

Best Answer

No. I think that the prisoners that are in our jails should pay their room/board. Why should criminals and witches be a drain on society?

Best Answer

This despite the fact there was no actual evidence against any one of them?

Best Answer

So they should all be released in your neighborhood to rape, kill, steal , assault and perform witchcraft? Ok that is fine as long as it is not in gunshot from me.

Best Answer

I read a non-fiction book years ago written by Erica Jong that proposed the ideas that the witches were actually practicing a form of folk medicine that had been handed down by females all the way back to Roman times. Her theory was that the growing strength of male-dominated western medicine did not like the competition of old women and their medicinal herbs and poultices, so they invented the witch craze as a way to eliminate the competition.

Best Answer

The Salem witches had no hard evidence against them, the girls who accused them later admitted that they made the whole thing up to get attention and to get back at one of them. It was common practice during the witch hunts to target wealthy people, as when they were convicted their propery & possessions were forefit and sold.

Best Answer

I know the theory you're talking about, and some of the accused women were local herbswomen. The Catholic church also didn't like the power of women in general and believed women were more susebtible to demonic influence and sin, thus the reason why women were accused at far greater rates then men.

Best Answer

I agree. I think it was just an extreme case of bullying.

Best Answer

Sounds better to me than us paying for all this. I wish they'd charge the prisoners now for their stay there. Do the crime- pay for the time.

Best Answer

Yeah! Good thing we don't make prisoners pay for anything nowadays, huh?

Best Answer

probably arrested by republicans who owned stock in a chain company, the grocery chain and owned the well

Best Answer

Wow, I hope you're joking. Republicans didn't even exist back then. (Lincoln was the first national candidate for that party, and the witch trials were almost 200 years before his time.)

Best Answer

i have no idea who that is or what's happening but i support u and what u just called ****** up..

Best Answer

During the salem witch trials, and during the witch hunts in Europe hundreds of years ago.

Best Answer