turtlesplash turtlesplash 41-45, M 10 Answers Oct 29, 2012 in Hobbies

Atheist defines someone who doesn't believe in a god or gods, it has nothing to do with religion. So I don't know what you're talking about, I don't think you do either. <br />
I think it's depressing someone who's almost 40 doesn't know any of that, though.

Best Answer

glad i'm not in that boat burn hahah

Best Answer

wow, you sound like you really do have a nanohorizon - atheism has nothing to do with religion? if you want to have an intelligent debate about this you need to start with an argument, not indulge in semantic word-play and personal attack - it only reveals the weakness of the position which you claim is so strong

Best Answer

I don't want an intelligent debate, I never claimed I did. Nor did you. Yes, my handle is nanohorizon? You made a mistake, I corrected you, and that's about it. If you want to have a debate lets have a debate. Name your topic.

Best Answer

actually you didn't correct me, you just negated my claim with simplistic, even obtuse reasoning - your 'argument' was defined more by its emotional quality than its reasoning, and your attempt to personally insult me shows you struggle to focus on the relevent intellectual points - which is kinda ironic given you are speak implicitly for reason against faith - i would be more tempted to engage with you if you demonstrated good faith and a willingness to play the ball rather than the man

Best Answer

but i never turn down a challenge - if you do want a debate about this then PM me - because public conflict of this kind is rarely productive, being even more inflected by ego-defense than usual

Best Answer

Sure, I've been traveling for a funeral the last two days and I forgot where this thread was. I don't see the point of debating in private messages, that sort of defeats the purpose. The purpose of the challenge was to express confidence in my positions to others, because you're smearing an entire people that have hardly one thing in common. I am an Atheist, I'm positive that I fit your stereotypes fully, I just don't think that's negative. However, what you said isn't true, it's not true on an intellectual basis or an emotional basis, an individual basis or in a plurality. It's flat out not true. I wouldn't allow an atheist to call every religious person an abuser, even though it's clear a lot of them are.

Best Answer

i just know from experience that arguments that start like this and continue in public in the same way usually only end up being a d1ck-measuring exercise - i do test boundaries but i argue in the hope that i will either teach someone something, or learn something myself [or both] - i answered you here in the same kind of troll-form you gave to me - i just eventually realized i should try to break that dynamic ---but i NEVER said all atheists do this, though with hindsight it would have been better to have said 'some' rather than 'many' - but even so, if you look at my question objectively, and then your reply, i don't see how you are not aggressor here

Best Answer

or perhaps it would be more honest to say that you responded to a fairly moderate provocation, with a relatively extreme personal attack - and it went downhill from there - i'm not innocent of course, but if you're seriously trying to say that i'm the bad guy here, i'm somewhat incredulous

Best Answer

religous folk and atheists are the same, they both think everyone cares about what they think

Best Answer

they do have a lot in common, it's true - it's why they often are at each other's throats

Best Answer

We have extremists on both sides of the believer/non-believer divide about religion, especially in regards to the three major monotheistic faiths of our world. I'm always willing to debate the validity of those faiths ba<x>sed on their inherent self-contradictions regarding god's existence, his nature, and the false devaluations of man's worth that these faiths practice through superstitious-fear tactics; however, I always endeavor to be less of a nuisance than the Baptists and Jehovah's Witnesses that keep coming to my door to tell me that god has sent them to save me from Hell. :-)

Best Answer

Well we are trying to stamp out all world religions. One must be thorough.

Best Answer

*laughs*

Best Answer

the irony is that radical atheism really only feeds the growth of radical religious groups

Best Answer

and vice-versa

Best Answer

We are patient. Religion looks more and more foolish each day in the face of science and technology. We don't really have to do much more than wait.

Best Answer

atheism can be just as ridiculous as religion, just as naive, only in the opposite way - i've walked both sides of the road now and i won't become a flag-waver for either camp

Best Answer

the truth nearly always lies in the middle

Best Answer

All of their gods have been silent for thousands of years. I doubt any of them will be making an appearance any time soon.

Best Answer

silence? what are you talking about? the wind blows, the birds sing, the heavens dance and dreams visit me every night - i can hear God everywhere --- don't mistake dogma for god, because if you take the metaphor for the reality, if you think religion begins and ends with metaphysics, then you will never understand what God actually means to good people who aren't hypocrites

Best Answer

and all you will be fighting will be the shadows of your own projections

Best Answer

*insert dramatic flourish*

Best Answer

LOL. The wind is caused by hot air exchanging places with cold air. The heavens dance regardless of whether or not a bunch of evolved primates mumble prays to an empty sky. The gods once walked the face of the earth, but now they are silent. The mysteries that gave rise to religion are being explained by science. Religion has no way of remaining relevant. Religion does not have the ability to grow and change. It does not have the ability to assimilate new information and respond to it. Like so many other religions that have already passed into the murky depths of history to be forgotten so too will the major religions we deal with today. It is only a matter of time.

Best Answer

religion evolves like everything else [Dawkins never grasped the most important implications of his own concept of the Meme] - Christianity today will only survive if it continues to evolve and can effectively adapt itself to modern problems - those fanatics who pretend it's always the same and the unchanging truth of God have little idea what they're talking about - Christianity in the Apostolic era, in the Middle-Ages, in the Renaissance and today are all different religions in the emphasis of their practice and values - maybe Christianity has to die out, i don't know, but you're kidding yourself if you think religion itself will disappear anytime in the foreseeable future - witness spontaneous cult phenomenon alone - witness the continuing spread and creation of new religions despite all the power of science and the media - witness the fanaticism and pseudo-mysticism that springs up just around science and democracy or money - the cold hard fact is that human beings are not rational animals at all, we are just animals with reason - and a paper-thin veneer of reason it is too, in most people

Best Answer

*takes breath*

Best Answer

Christianity has learned some impressive tricks, but think back upon all the other religions of the world that predate it and have since fallen into ruin. There is only so much mental gymnastics that can be done until religion simply becomes irrelevant. I am well aware that I won't live to see the end of religion. It will take quite some time to bring everyone out of the darkness. It will be religions failures and shortcomings that will turn people off. It will be religion's lack of concrete answers that provide the sources of its undoing. Just like we consider the pantheon of gods who once ruled from Mt. Olympus mere stories that reflect upon those who created them, so too will the major religions of the world fall into ruin. The faithful will move on to more interesting things. Other belief systems will pop up to prey upon those who need such stories to get through life, but not all will be so inclined or coerced into following them. The yoke of religion has been lifted. It is time we begin to explore our own power and our own ability to shape the world without relying on an external force to enforce the rules.

Best Answer

as an old atheist i know these arguments inside out - they don't reach me because they don't address the God i found, but only the dogmatic God of collective laziness - THIS IS NOT GOD - this is the hardened cultural left-overs from the great and rare individuals who actually experienced God - God is like the Tao

Best Answer

there do exist atheist arguments that are very difficult to reject comprehensively, but they are based on some kind of grasp of the phenomenological meaning of God, and not a demonization of the idea

Best Answer

but your emotional tone is perfect - can i ask you, can you prove that your mind exists?

Best Answer

I am an atheist myself but I agree with you. I try to show respect to my fellow human beings even though I may disagree with their opinions.

Best Answer

Pushing buttons, are we??

Best Answer

somewhat - i do like to test boundaries generally, but i balanced this question with another one about religious hypocrites - but i admit i'm particularly fond of giving atheists a taste of their own medicine [ie to be on the receiving end of unsympathetic, relentless rational analysis]

Best Answer

Best Answer

i agree.

Best Answer