Local county clerk announced that seniors, the poor, the disabled don't need to worry about needing photo ID in order to vote---the clerk's office furnishes them for $15 each, if you're able to get to their office in a county that has almost no public transport.
ChipmunkErnie ChipmunkErnie 61-65, M 12 Answers Oct 2, 2012 in Hobbies

Not really. You have to have an ID to do just about anything in this country. As to the $15 charge, it's not really unreasonable, but perhaps the county should wave the fee for those who can't afford it. There is nothing wrong with making an effort to make sure people are who they claim to be at the polls. We do it everywhere else. By the way, if it's too difficult to make it to the county offices to get the ID, how is it any less so to make it to the polls.

Best Answer

1) Voting is a basic right in the US and it's been ruled again and again that any kind of fee charged for voting or registration or illegal. 2) For many people that $15 means their family might miss a meal, etc. 3) The polls are local, usually within a mile or two or even just walking distance. The county seat is where I live and it can take me anywhere from half an hour to an hour to drive to the farther parts of the county, and I own a car. We have almost no bus service, so if you don't have a car you're pretty much stuck unless you have friends with one.

Best Answer

Well argued Ernie, but I think the integrity of the system needs to maintained. If the courts find it improper to charge a fee for an ID, then the fee should be waived... not the ID requirement. My voting station is 6 miles from where I live.

Best Answer

The integrity of the system is why I believe it should be free.

Best Answer

I don't find it unacceptable. In the old days those without drivers licenses typically had a non-drivers identification card which they could use to cash checks. There is precedent for having photo identification for almost everyone...most commonly used for banking and social security identification, at airports, and when you wish to make a major purchase such as a vehicle or a home.<br />
Even seniors, the poor and the disabled need to cash checks now and then....so I don't think this is too much of a hardship.

Best Answer

I'm not arguing about the other uses of photo ID, but specifically a statement issued by the county clerk pooh-pooing the idea that the elderly, poor, or disabled might be unable to vote due to lack of photo idea because they could buy one from her office, if they could make it there and if they had the money.

Best Answer

Many counties have initiated a "photo ID "requirement for voting.Where I live,you practically need one for eating at MacDonalds. While $15.00 isn't astronomically high(I think thats about what it costs here) the lack of public transportation problem is an issue in many places.Its not exactly a poll tax,but it does place a burden on the groups you mentioned,but how would this be remedied,unless they open more "photo ID centers?

Best Answer

Ideally? Local municipal governments could provide the service for free for residents of their town. It would barely make a dent in the budget. Hell, if the county can run half a dozen golf courses they can provide photo IDs without charge.

Best Answer

There is NO good reason why any adult these days doesn't have a picture ID. Let's think rationally here, people. You have to show your ID to do practically anything else. This notion that it disenfranchises a group of people to ask them to show a picture ID is a stupid political ploy to cause strife.

Best Answer

The republicans thought they were going to steal votes from Pa residents, but the court, just today told them NO Way.

Best Answer

Yeah... I may say yeah.

Best Answer

You can say that if you want to but it is not the county's responsibility to provide transportation for the elderly, disabled, or poor, to get there and back for an ID which most should have already. Either a drivers license, state ID card, Passport, work badge, school ID, pistol permit, etc. There are so many types of photo ID that it makes your head spin, and all you need is one.

Best Answer

All of which you have to pay for and not all of which are accepted, depending on the state. I have no problem for paying for a license for something, like a driver's license. But a government ID which is solely for the purpose of proving identity in things like voting, medical care, etc., I do think should be a service provided for free.

Best Answer

Put in the paperwork to your congressman and have a bill written up.

Best Answer

Not really, poll taxes were a way of oppressing people, not giving them more of a chance to vote.

Best Answer

Exactly. And now you need a government recognized photo ID, all of which are charged for. Not really different from the old days of demanding you own real estate in order to vote.

Best Answer

There weren't illegal immigrants back then, though curiously, there was still voter fraud :/..maybe photo ID will aid in lessening that.

Best Answer

I don't think $15 is out of reach for anyone either, so it isn't really restricting or oppressing any minority.

Best Answer