In my time, the federal government was heaping reporting requirements on schools that took federal money. I am sure that the government devil is still in the mix, but what about other costs? Does every stinking school need to be a research center? What about just teaching? What about divisions 1 and 2 sports. For most schools, they are not money makers, which almost always means the extra burden goes right to the students. But that does not explain costs at schools in other divisions or without sports programs. Could it also be that decades of third party payments have warped them into the same sort of beast as healthcare? I don't know. I am asking. Smart-*** answers welcome because I need some relief.
TheSquirrel TheSquirrel 46-50, M 6 Answers May 13, 2012

I think you're onto the answer. The combination of massive parental assistance (a self-perpetuating cycle, because college tuition is now impossible to pay from the cashflow with an entry-level job) and easy student loans (guaranteed by you, the taxpayer) has served to detach college expenses from the students (most of them, anyway) making the decision whether to attend or not. So, we have things like students expecting palace-like dorms, recreation centers, free taxis, etc. <br />
Personally, I was fortunate enough to earn the grades and test scores to get a scholarship that covers all in-state tuition. Even then, the costs are high. First year students are required to live in a dorm and purchase a meal plan, so there went $5000 (to live in a dump and get kicked out every break/summer, while I now pay roughly the same for a 12 month lease on a modest but much nicer apartment) and $3200 (for crap, unhealthy food) respectively. Parking permits range from $150 (to park a mile from class) to $450 (parking deck close by) Every semester will bring about $2-300 in bogus fees, a mandatory $300 purchase in "dining dollars" redeemable only at campus food courts or Domino's Pizza, and books will run about $150 a class, on average (They tend to be cheap for humanities classes, and expensive for math, science, and business courses.). If I had to pay tuition, there's no way I could do it without racking up $10K a year in debt, and even as things are, I may wind up needing a short term loan this fall of about $1200 (I deliver pizza at an SEC football school, so the money is very seasonal. I rake in money during fall, but the summer before is a time of financial famine.).

Best Answer

I went to an SEC school. When I started in 1982, my room and board cost $865 a quarter and my entire first quarter's books cost less than $100. A motivated person could make it work on a job -- maybe with a small loan or grant.

Best Answer

Because young people, for the most part have great distaste for real work and getting thier hands dirty.

Best Answer

I agree with you. I have seen too much of that myself, but what of the costs?

Best Answer

well to escape working for a living is like divorce....expensive because those involved believe it to be worth the price

Best Answer

Increase the cost of Education, only the rich can afford to study, They keep the poor people down, this is helping the New World Order to achieve its goals. Only the rich and the elite. In Germany students don't have to pay to study except a small registration fee. England is a rip off with University fees, far too expensive and if you are a foreign student it is even more expensive. That is discrimination. I strongly believe that everyone (rich or poor) should have the chance to study and better themselves. I come from a "working class" family and could also not afford to go to university. But thanks to Germany I got a good Education and trained at a college here. And didn't have to pay for it. The Education system here seems better. At least from the financial point of view.

Best Answer

Why shouldn't universities discriminate against those from foreign places? And you or someone had to pay for it. It was not free. They are just lucky that you actually appreciate what they did. However, this branch of conversation is going astray from the original question which, I suppose, was really about American colleges and universities.

Best Answer

Sorry I couldn't tell which country was meant, I suppose I know nothing about American colleges and universities at least not about tuition fees sorry I answered your question. But I still feel that if you have educated people the country will prosper and benefit by it. Or should we keep the people stupid and let the country be a bunch of uneducated morons all looking for a job as a toilet cleaner?

Best Answer

When I was in college tuition was cheaper. There were subsidies by taxpayers. However, while I was going through school, the rate continued to go up every year. Then when the tech bubble burst in the early 2000's it went up even faster. I think what we had was a system where the rise of inflation was being offset by the taxpayers. The problem we have now, is the govt, both federal and state, are running high defecits. They can't afford the same burden and they can't keep raising taxes to sustain the levels of subsidies. Universties want to offer competitve pay for staff and programs to attract students but that comes at a cost. The UC system is a perfect example of that. They have to find people willing to pay and all to often are looking for Chinese families with money to pay for school to fill the gaps.

Best Answer

I am sure that is true for state universities. What about private schools? Their costs are rising similarly. I think that the inflation rate of college costs is greater than the overall rate. Am I correct?

Best Answer

True, but then the cost of living has been going up so schools have to raise prices to match them.

Best Answer

If the cost of living goes up at 3% and tuition and fees go up at 7%, there must be something else.

Best Answer

It has to be the pay the schools want to offer, or building and infastructure fees. Higher education is not cheap. Many young people want it but don't want to pay for it. It's a double edged sword. If the cost is pused to the taxpayers, then someone will have to make in another area. It would either come in the form of layoffs, budget cuts, or salary decreases. The society has to decide what things are the most important to them while still letting people create businesses.

Best Answer

education is only for the rich...

Best Answer

That way of thinking is why so many people who could get out of poverty will never get out of poverty.

Best Answer

not my way of thinking,it's how it is.

Best Answer

Good luck being poor, then.

Best Answer

not poor,bro,I live in the best country on earth (NZ) you will never starve or live out in the streets here.Can you say that about your country.

Best Answer

No. You can fail here. Read your own country's history. Before your government began to allow the repatriation of profits, movement of personal wealth of more than $5000, and stopped mimicking the UK's attitudes toward business, New Zealand was going into the toilet. You are old enough. You remember.

Best Answer

unemployment benefit,sickness benefit,solo parents benefit,free health care,free education until university(an interest free loan is available),old age benefit...no need to read my country's history i liv it.

Best Answer