Yea or Nay?
KerriJ1970 KerriJ1970 41-45, F 23 Answers Apr 26 in Community

An 18 year old is deemed to be mature enough to make the potentially fatal decision to enlist in the military. Yet that very same 18 year old isn't considered mature enough to drink a beer. Doesn't that seem contradictory when you think about it?

Best Answer

They can always do what I did. I joined the miliary when I was 17 during wartime because I wanted to serve my country. They let me drink with my active duty military ID....

Best Answer

Which is the stronger lobby in DC - auto insurance or liquor? The age was raised to 21 because of insurance stats. Insurance companies save money when drunk kids don't drive. The law won't change without legislation and that won't happen without big industry money. The liquor folks would love the age to be dropped.

Best Answer

My idea won't be done, in my lifetime at least. If America would completely do away with a legal drinking age, it would help save lives overall but not without a terrible amount of deaths in the short term. Those who were 14, 15, 16 yrs old etc... when the law was abolished would go nuts and so many would die in accidents and there would be such outcry that we need to make a drinking age law again... But once past that, when the 5 and 6 yr olds grow up being allowed to try wine at dinner and NOT ever being denied alcohol then we would have a lot LESS issues with it going forward.<br />
So, is the trade off of some short term pain (serious pain as it is death) worth LESS pain long term (still talking death and MUCH less death if this option were chosen)?

Best Answer

Nope

Best Answer

will it make any difference? don't kids drink by 16? do drugs even before that?

Best Answer

Yes, they couldn't be arrested for drinking if it was legal.

Best Answer

they get arrested? o.O

Best Answer

Noooooooooo!

Best Answer

It is 18 in most of the world, some have it lower.

Best Answer

It is 18 in the UK already. And u can drink from 5 if ur with a aduld n eating out

Best Answer

Like it matters these days. I believe if your old enough to fight for our country, then your old enough to drink. Then again, how many people over 30, 40 and up abuse this privilege?

Best Answer

yay i think if it wasnt reswtrcited you wouldnt have so many illegal drinkers and ove the top drinkers if its restrcited most people then want ti more

Best Answer

No

Best Answer

Does it matter? We all drink underage anyways.

Best Answer

No way

Best Answer

No one cares about that rules nowadays. Drinking age is 16/18 here, I see 13 year olds drink themselves under.

Best Answer

reminds me of the good old days

Best Answer

Nay,

Best Answer

it is only 18

Best Answer

No, raise it to 35+ ;-)

Best Answer