I know part of it would be old racial crap, but aren't we beyond that?
ChipmunkErnie ChipmunkErnie 61-65, M 5 Answers Dec 12, 2012 in Hobbies

It can be pretty unmanageable if you don't know how to deal with it. I'm half Spanish but I have inherited the texture of hair from the dominant African-American roots on my mother's side, and because it's so thick, it can be a hassle. I've switched to a perm in the last year and a half because pressing it had become too much for my mother. I love my hair, though.

Best Answer

two reasons come to mind. All things associate with black people in the US used to denigrated. Two, historically wearing your hair in it's natural state was seen as unprofessional and backward....most likely because they watched all the same bigoted programing and read the same books showing Africans as being savages.

Best Answer

It hasn't been that many decades ago that blacks could have only one hairstyle in one color. The advent of curl relaxers, etc, gives black more flexibility to express individuality. Blacks can now have straightened-hair hairstyles of any variety that they want.

Best Answer

Actually there was a black woman (forget her name) over 100 years ago who made a fortune straightening black hair

Best Answer

Madam C.J. Walker =^.^= Bless that lady's soul. She was the first female black millionaire who set the mark for others to follow.

Best Answer

Yes, that's her. And the first black millionaire (I think) was Stepin Fetchit.

Best Answer

I'm not the guy to ask

Best Answer

No hair or not black?

Best Answer

Oh I got more hair then I know what to d with I'm just not black

Best Answer