If you're worried about the microwaves, don't be: they're all contained inside a metal box and shouldn't (unless it's badly damaged) leak out to harm you. And so long as you follow the time/setting guidelines for what you're cooking, all should be well. (As with anything else, some things -- e.g. raw chicken -- can be dangerous if undercooked, but that would apply to a regular oven as well.)<br />
So don't worry. The colour and texture of the results may not be quite the same as cooking the old fashioned way, but it's all perfectly safe. :)
Does anyone here know what a "microwave" is? It's a photon of light that happens to be of a different frequency / wavelength than what our eyes can see! Nothing more, nothing less. So are AM and FM radio waves, antenna television broadcasts, radar and navigational signals, X-Rays and cosmic rays.<br />
Now, I suppose that people can get skin cancer from too much sunlight, ... but let's not go overboard, people! Microwave ovens are used to heat (shake up, vigorously) the water molecules in food! I agree that I don't necessarily care what it does to the taste and consistency of warmed-over pizza.<br />
Microwaves don't make the food very nice, but they're perfectly safe.
I hate them, it ruined my salad
You have to be smarter than the oven is.
I don't like my food microwaved at all and will refuse to eat it if it is. Not only does it taste wrong, but it's bad for you.
So far so good, but I don't like the way it looks at me.
Does it look a bit glazed?
It thinks it's so hot.
I absolutely see no reason why they would not be safe....
I have anotherone, just like that:
it is to LOL
Not safe. They use radiation that poisons the food and silently hurts anyone who stands nearby. Eat a "nuked" bowl of soup and die slowly. Never feed it to children, that could be very bad. <br />
LOLOL. Some people are so gullible.
If they aren't safe then I'm doomed
Just don't microwave your food in a plastic container. Use glass.
Great recommendation -- although plastic doesn't heat up in the microwave (it's the water in the food that heats up), the plastic becomes warm from the food it's holding. ... Many plastics, when warmed and especially when they have softened -- release portions of their molecules, such as chlorine (poly-vinyl choride) into your food.
Yes, I know.
No. They will suck out your soul.
They are very safe. Why do you think they wouldn't be save?
They use concentrtated, high energy, radio waves to produce heat. It is the same type of energy, your cell phone uses.
We've survived for 40+ years having microwaved food, so I don't worry any more. I hardly ever use mine, it cooks corn cobs from frozen in 5 minutes but apart from those I seldom use it
I use the microwave in my apartment as an oven timer. I don't heat my food in it at all anymore. And it's tastes so much better. <br />