http://www.bostonglobe.com/1969/12/26/swear/WjOoNpBBWiMKPu8bIK9HjL/story.html
PrincessMaine PrincessMaine 46-50, F 28 Answers Jun 25, 2012

We have laws that define disorderly conduct as a misdemeanor offense in Texas.

These laws are to protect individuals from threats of obscenities. The offenders can be cited for verbal assault and for their hostility can be fined punishable by a fine of up to $500. Use “abusive, indecent, profane, or vulgar language,” of the kind likely to provoke a physical altercation. These are known legally as “fighting words.”

I think in this area it doesn't infringe upon first amendment rights and is conducive to civility for the general public's welfare.

I have been witness to customers cussing a fast food employee for a wrong order and getting belligerent to the point I called the police.

I had to go to court and give testimony to what I witnessed and the judge gave the woman a $500 fine and ordered her successful completion of anger management classes for her actions in the court room.

Best Answer

Hmm...very interesting...

Best Answer

From what I've read this is very similar to what Middlebro is attempting to do...if you say "oh ****, I forgot to pick up milk" in public ur not gonna get fined...the fine is for people shouting profanities left & right in public...two totally different scenarios. Reason being that the profanities in their downtown business area is so bad that a lot of businesses are losing business because customers don't feel comfortable walking thru the area as a result.
I don't think this is really so much about censorship as it is about common decency in public.

Best Answer

I was astonished that the woman in my experience didn't care to resolve the issue in a manner with a bit of dignity.
I was directly behind her in line and as I looked back I seen a family with children too young to be exposed to that kind of abuse. As they quickly left, I seen other families already seated and trying to enjoy their meal. I asked her to take it down a notch for the sake of the young ears in the restaurant. If it had been a march on city hall and the environment was a demonstration, I could see the right to voice whatever was in their hearts and minds as an adult situation would exist.

Best Answer

Just what I'd expect from pathetic little Middleboro.

Best Answer

beyond aggravating and extremely unacceptable, Americans should have an absolute right to say what they want where they want to.

Best Answer

So long as no is hurt during the interim..

Best Answer

("nobody")

Best Answer

**** that ****

Best Answer

ummmm.....

I am going to have a serious shortage on $20.00dollar bills.....

joyinthef_&##ckingjourney, clg

to whom do i pay my 20?

Best Answer

Just give it to the wealthy Feds... They need more money...

Best Answer

smiling here...

Best Answer

Well I guess it's a way to help close the budget gap, I don't generally swear so it would not affect me. How are they going to patrol people in the homes and cars? Do they get turned in if they swear at a bar? Could get pretty tricky....

Best Answer

My thoughts exactly, although I do not frequent bars...

Best Answer

In the area i live i'm sure some people swear for a living. if they tried to on-the-spot fine here for public profanity there would be a riot in the first hour and a curfew in the second.

Best Answer

I don't either, I just know that when drunks come into the hospital, they certainly swear a lot. Lol

Best Answer

You can be charged with profanity based laws here in the UK. You can be fined up to £80 ($120 or so) but there is a loophole law, if under stress and you swear to a police officer you are automatically allowed a single swearword, beyond that you can be arrested jailed and fined. I have fairly strong views on freedom of speech but detest f#ckers who swear around children. Its fairly easy to control your language, but i disagree with it being enforced.

Best Answer

Excellent information...and opinion...

Best Answer

violence, alcohol abuse, overpopulating the planet, thats fine...just no swearing, swearing is bad, it makes jesus cry

Best Answer

Archaic like laws against spitting on the sidewalk or ground.

Best Answer

What??? you say it has nothing to do with freedom of speech but the whole point of freedom of speech is to be able to say what ever you want, so this does sort of contradict the point of free speech.

Best Answer

Yup! I fugdin agree with you!

Best Answer

Our police here don't have the time. The bullets are more lethal than words here.

Best Answer

Oooh! Those words..how they hurt...:-)

Best Answer

If such law is there, it would protect one's self esteem. At the same time even bad person can move around without a fear of any curses.

Best Answer

I agree. I'm the type of person, where, if I drop a whole bucket of eggs on my floor, even alone, I scream out loud, "What the Fudge!" I always think that either my folks or God is/are watching over me!!!!

Best Answer

That it's a good idea. An occasional damn or sh*t I can live with but when it's a constant stream of expletives often from bad mothers and "lads/ladies on the town" then it becomes something else, ruining another persons time out especially if they are with children. Swearing is not clever and it has nothing to do with freedom of speech.

Best Answer

No class whatsoever coming from a gentleman or a lady whatsoever...

Best Answer

indeed and agreed.

Best Answer

**** **** son of a ***** mother ****** say what u want to say freedom of speech give me liberty or give me death

Best Answer

Fck that ****.

Best Answer

kinda kills freedom of speech

Best Answer

Although I do not agree with cursing and that there are so many more ways to get the point across, I concur..

Best Answer

well freedom of speech is very important, next thing you know there will be a tax on all people who are not christan,

Best Answer

Scary thought.....but who knows..just wait..it'll happen but soon..

Best Answer

ooh boy, I better not visit there- sometimes i don't even realize I'm doing it- it's a reflex if some a hole pizzes me off.

Best Answer

WHAAAAAAAAT?!!!

Best Answer

bIG TIME~~~WTF!!!!!!! hahahahahahahahaha lmbfao!!!!!! ROFL!!!!

Best Answer

Wowwww whats next? A fine for religion :P this makes me angry, ill cuss if I want to. I am not going to have anyone tell me what I cant say. For some reason I think more and more today that our rights are being violated as society is moving away from what was really intentioned by our past leaders. I think they should make stupid laws illegal in itself. @!$&#!*!

Best Answer