thelonewood thelonewood 26-30 85 Answers Dec 22, 2012 in Parenting & Family

Say NO !!!<br />
There is no need for an 8 year old child to be on FB.

Best Answer

FB is so stupid an its not safe for kids that young too

Best Answer

It's my understanding FB has a rule about being 13 or older to have an account with them.<br />
It is unfortunate too many parents help their childern break the rules by assisting them in setting up an account with a fake birth date. <br />
You should teach your child the value of following the rules, any or all rules, with your actions. Or you may be caught trying to explain why it is ok to break some rules but not others. So what if "all her classmates have one". You can always ask her to name who has them... When she only names about 4 people ask if that is "all her classmates".

Best Answer

All good points HB.....all. I don't see why kids so young should spend ANY unnecessary time on the computer, let a alone a social media site at age 8. I think 13 will come soon enough!

Best Answer

Thank you RedRubies :-)

Best Answer

Tell her yes, as long as she understands that you will be handling the account and only you will have the password. It will be set to private except for friends. There will be no more harm in this than letting her go to the park and talk with unfamiliar children. Eight is a fine time to start giving her responsibility online. It's not going away after all. This is the way people communicate.

Best Answer

I agree totally.

Best Answer

Took the words right out of my mouth, especially about the parent being the only one to have the password.

Best Answer

Here's my advice, take or leave...I have an 18 year old daughter. She is only friends with people she knows. She has over 100 requests in her friend box from guys who are totally trolling FB and looking at her pic and saying hey your hot let's be friends...she got her FB account when she was 14. Many of her friends were not smart enough to realize some of these guys were predators. A couple of the girls were lured in by guys in their 30s. Random dudes message her and she blocks them...they scare her. Because she's seen her little girlfriends get hooked by older guys. I live in a small town, but some of these trollers are from nearby towns and cities. The few from in town have been prosecuted. One got with several young girls and was finally prosecuted after one young girls (12 yr old) mom caught him red handed with FB proof! Another, well he got caught after a 14 yr old got deathly sick, she was taken to ER. She had trich and herpes! WTF, the guy was in his 50s...bought the girl some booze and gave her pot to share with her friends...but he wanted payment for his kindness...and guess what that was. Ya...he got charged with sexual misconduct w/ minor and for giving her an STD...watch momma, the internet can be offer a wealth of information...but it can also open a door to evils that have no limits.

Best Answer

I would say no. First off, "all her classmates have one" is no reason one way or the other. This is a good teaching moment to explain all that, because I can guarantee you when she gets older and discovers boys, you are going to hear a lot of "all my classmates have ___ or are doing ___". You need to discuss this before that occurs. Second, no one needs a facebook account. There are far better ways for an 8 year old to communicate with her friends than on facebook, where all the world can eavesdrop.

Best Answer

Children can be cruel, it's too dangerous, you need to say no and be firm about it. At 8, she would not be equipped to deal with some of the negative, possibly destructive things said, that come her way.

Best Answer

Learn how to deal with a child who has been told "No, you can't".

Best Answer

Age 8 ??? Abig fat NO. Shell get over it somehow. Give her something to focus on that she can let herself avoid FB. Once she enters that world, your responsibility begins. And it's not easy to monitor her, online and offline.

Best Answer

If all her friends jumped off a bridge, is she gonna want to do that too?

Best Answer

You should tell her no. There are a lot of hackers on that site and a lot of unneeded drama. She will be better, and safer, off without one.

Best Answer

Say no. You're the parent.

Best Answer

Tell her 'no'.

Best Answer

I concur.

Best Answer

Facebook has rule 13 and older.

Best Answer

Hell no. Kids don't need to deal with all the garbage that can come with FB at age 8.

Best Answer

If all her classmates jump off a bridge tomorrow..will you let her too?<br />
It's important you teach her she is unique and that following the mob goes against her personal development..<br />
I let my kids see my facebook page...I teach them what I do with it..how I interract with people..but I would not let them have a page until they are strong enough to deal with peer pressure and cyberbullying.

Best Answer

Hell no 18 teens get addiction of fb & your daughter is still at 8 tell she can make an ep account when she become 13 & you also take care of her online !!! You will feel proud of it :-D no other parents take care of thier kids like this !!! & you know about ep

Best Answer

You're the parent and I'm sure you know what to do. :)

Best Answer

I can understand with her age, but honestly I don't think it's THAT bad. As long as you have her password, log on once a night, see her friends, her message. She could use it as a way to catch up on homework for example.

Best Answer

Be a parent!, you aren't you daughters classmates' mother, and they're mothers aren't your daughters mother. <br />
8 is too young, (in my opinion)

Best Answer