myself until I move out? It's hard for me to bite my tongue and just go along with what they say. I feel like I'm lying by omission.
Ridiculousity Ridiculousity 18-21 6 Answers Feb 19 in Parenting & Family

If you want other people to respect your right to have your own beliefs, you have to respect their right to their own beliefs too. Its hard when you are living under someone elses roof... but its also good experience for you to learn how to be true to your beliefs without imposing them on others. Its important to learn to communicate your thoughts and feelings to people who don't necessarily agree with them without being offensive. And yeah, sometimes its better to just stay quiet.

Best Answer

Thanks for answering. I know I'll never be able to change their beliefs/opinions, and I'm not going to try to. My main concern is that people in be angry, or disappointed in me for not believing the same things as them. I don't want to cause extra tension at home.

Best Answer

Well I read another place that your parents are very religious and you are not. Being "very religious" can have a lot of different meanings - and religion is something people can feel very strongly about - both directions. Are you able to talk to your parents about other things? Are your issues with religion, issues with your parents specific religion, or do you just not believe in God at all? Is it the church part that bothers you, or are the house rules unbearable? Questioning ones beliefs is very normal in growing up and I would hate for you to become one of those people who are bitter and angry with God because you feel like you are being force fed it right now...

Best Answer

We barely talk, and it seems like they avoid talking about basically anything that is of importance, I'm not sure why, it's just how it's always been.
I generally don't agree with my parents (a pretty common thing for teenagers I guess). I'm pretty skeptical about religion, but I guess I dislike the one my parents believe in the most because it's the religion I know the most about, and I see how their beliefs have negatively affected our family. I haven't been to church in years, and there don't appear to be any definite house rules. I do not flat out hate religion, and I don't think I'll ever believe in any religion, but I'm open to the idea of being spiritual.

Best Answer

its too bad that you can't talk to your parents, but it doesn't sound like the particular issues is causing a lot of strain beyond what already exists surrounding other issues. Religion is a hard pill to swallow... They all have some good points and some bad points and a persons spiritual journey will take them across many plains, unless they just turn their back on it all together. But even a lot of people that do that still come full circle later in life. I just worry about my relationship with God and pray that will be enough, but a relationship with a church can help a lot of people through trying times too. Hang in there... its hard to be an older teen!

Best Answer

Just ask yourself: "Is THIS the hill I want to die on"?

Best Answer

Dont...But i would advice u not to break the law... u be right 100% or atleast try to be...Dont be opinionated.. deal with facts... opinions get u no where and only give u a false sense of understanding...id say read the bible 4 urself...

Best Answer

Yes. It's fine to make your beliefs known, but debating them all the time isn't going to get you anywhere. You won't change their minds.

Best Answer