yolo19 yolo19 18-21, F 12 Answers Nov 29, 2012 in Community

Often (myself included), insomnia where you "feel tired" is due to underlying anxiety or depression. Really, anything that keeps the gears turning in your mind can keep you awake. If you been having trouble sleeping consistently, you may want to talk to a professional about different approaches to help.

Yes, alcohol can help you *initiate* sleep, but like other GABAergic CNS depressants (i.e. benzodiazepines (Xanax/Klonopin), barbiturates), it disrupts your sleep architecture and ultimately decreases sleep quality. This is why people may wake up early after a night of heavy drinking. As for other common OTC medications, antihistamines (doxylamine (NyQuil), diphenhydramine (Benadryl), and cetirizine (Zyrtec) *can* cause drowsiness, but are not recommended for consistent/daily use for insomnia. I can't speak to their side-effect profile.

Zolpidem, AKA Ambien, is currently FDA-approved for insomnia--insofar as it can effectively initiate sleep. However, it also has not been shown to interfere with maintaining sleep--quite a plus, compared to some of the things mentioned above. Of course, you'll need a prescription for it. Melatonin is another widely-available OTC supplement that you may benefit from trying. Humans produce melatonin endogenously in the pineal gland (brain)-- it regulates your circadian rhythm and is particularly useful when your "body is tired but your brain is not." It has a very safe side-effect profile.

There are several other types medications and supplements which could help (notably, those that modulate levels of stress hormones like cortisol) but behavioral modifications may be just as effective… especially if this is happening to you frequently. Simple suggestions (which I/friends have found helpful):

-No alcohol intake within 2h of bedtime

-No caffeine intake within 5h of bedtime

-Well-balanced dinner, at least 2h before bedtime (complex carbs/lipids can upregulate "fasting state" hormones like epinephrine more quickly)

-No artificial screens (esp. backlit) within 1h of bedtime (artificial light will interfere with your body's normal Circadian rhythm)

-Limiting the bedroom to sleeping and sex (psychologically conditioning yourself that "seeing bed" means "getting tired")

-Daily exercise, but at least 4h before bedtime

-Setting a bedtime/wake-up time and sticking to it every day (a disordered sleep/wake cycle requires about 2 weeks of consistency to "reset")

I'm sure I'm leaving out tons of other options--getting ready for bed myself! Hopefully this helps point you towards rest! One last thing I can't stress enough: If you consistently have that "awake brain, tired body" feeling, don't be afraid to talk to a doctor or health professional… sleep disturbances are often clues to bigger issues--both physical and mental. I hope this helps!

Best Answer

I hear there's drugs for that

Best Answer

I hate it when that happens to me. I wish I knew how to fix it.

Best Answer

Eat)

Best Answer

Get in bed and read a book until you start drifting off.

Best Answer

drink vodka. if that doesn't work, try again in 5 minutes

Best Answer

Vodka helps nothing.

Best Answer

rhum?

Best Answer

listen to relaxing music

Best Answer

stop thinking about him and go to sleep

Best Answer

me to welcome to ageing

Best Answer