My boyfriend of nearly 4 years drinks a bottle of red wine every day. He gets up for work every day and only drinks in the evenings but it is EVERY evening! Despite his drinking every day he acts 'drunk' a lot. Is he an alcoholic? I have asked him to cut back to two glass of wine for a few nights a week or even stop altogether for a few nights but he cannot or will not! I have never known him to have one night off!!
blindsay71 blindsay71 46-50 19 Answers Jan 18, 2011

Yes, he's an alcoholic. A bottle of wine daily is way to much. He can't stop because his body needs alcohol and he feels bad without it.<br />
Until he realized himself he has a problem there's not much you can do about it unfortunately.

Best Answer

My boyfriend drinks two bottles of red a night and sometimes cognac too. WHen l asked him if he thought he had a drink problem he said 'yes when l have not got one' However, he works away every other month and is not allowed to drink. He has trouble sleeping when he works away but manages in the end. He does sometimes manage to have drink during this time at work when they come into port and he always heads for the red wine. The thing that gets to me is he has to sleep 10-12 hours to recover from the alcohol. He looks a healthy as anything, he is not aging with it and the whites of his eyes are perfect. I do not know how he does it. Me on the other hand do like red wine, but prefer white. I have got a higher tolerance since l have been with him as he encourages me to drink and l dont say no. However, l cannot drink anywhere near that without getting a hangover the next day. I just think in the end it will get him as it cannot be good for you unless the time he has off gives the liver time to repair who knows?

Best Answer

my boyfriend drinks one to two bottles every night he is 45 and has been drinking since he was thirteen and now he has been told that he has mild pancreaitise but still want stop drinking i also notice that he does it when am not looking he to can also be an arse i ask myself why do i stay ? i know he will never change because it runs in the family . good luck to you anyway its hard putting up with the mood change

Best Answer

Yes he sure is.

Best Answer

You could try watering his wine, gradually, and see if you can wean him off of the alcohol content. They do that with children in Europe. A tiny bit of water in the wine at first so he doesn't notice and gets used to it. Then more over time.

Best Answer

He sounds like what's referred to as a high-functioning alcoholic. It's the ability to cope with quite an active and responsible life but when no one needs him he drinks. While it's good he's being responsible and getting things done the excessive drinking is really hard on him. His acting drunk even though he drinks a lot is his liver not processing the alcohol fast enough. You're right to ask him to cut down to just one or two glasses a night, that would be beneficial instead of detrimental like his habit is now. <br />
It is true he has to want to cut back or it won't happen. Has he always drank so much or is it a recent thing? If he hasn't always drank try to pin point when he started drinking so heavily and get to the root of the problem. Usually alcoholics are not just stuck in a bad habit but covering something up.

Best Answer

He has drunk like this for about 12 years!!! I am leaving this relationship as it is like banging your head against a brick wall! It is such hard work with very little emotional reward.

Best Answer

If he can function throughout the day without drinking but then drinks alot at night....then he is a binge alcoholic

Best Answer

probably.

Best Answer

A friend told me a similar story about her boyfriend's alcohol intake. When she told him that he must get help, he started beating her as he thought he didnt have a problem and that she was nagging him. She broke up with him and he still couldnt see why. Thought he was such a good catch. Another person I know who drank a lot now has liver disease!

Best Answer

The term Alcoholic refers to an addiction. Does he depend on the alcohol, can he not drink for a week and be fine? There is no way we can know ba<x>sed on the information that you give.

Best Answer

He cannot stop for one night! He refuses to accept it is a problem and maintains there is nothing wrong with winding down at night with a bottle of wine! Apart from the health issues, he can be such an arse when pissed. I am tired of trying to get him to see sense.

Best Answer

Certainly seeing a trend, there. He may be drinking more than you are aware of as well. Good luck!

Best Answer