My Dad caught pneumonia with MRSA, well he has been on a ventilator for 2 weeks. They are now determining tomorrow if he will undergo a tracheotomy. My concern is that he could potentially be there for a long time. I've got no one around to help me get by. I am going to school and now since he has been sick the bills are piling up and i'm stuck to deal with it and we only got enough money to last this month. Does anyone know if there are any types of assistance I as a college student with the one who would usually financially support me is in the hospital? It upsets me because once he wakes up and is able to talk and I can't get help between now and then, how will I ever be able to tell him "our house is gone, I sold a lot of stuff, they are threatening to repo your truck.." I can't put that stress on him. Please, if anyone knows where or what I can do to get help to get our bills paid please let me know.
Fuzzyducknipplez Fuzzyducknipplez 18-21, F 6 Answers Jan 14 in Health

You need to talk to a medical social worker about all of the options, hospitals have them for counseling.

Best Answer

God. This is horrible. You are probably in the states. Can you ask the hospital's social worker who to recommend you to contact? How about social services? You are not the main breadwinner. The physicians may be able to write you notes explaining your situation to give to someone. Get advice soon. Others have been in your situation. I wish you luck. I am unsure if your local political leader may help. Involving the media might work too. People might want to help you financially or you might get the attention of someone who could really help you.

Best Answer

CherokeePatty is right. Talk to the hospital's social worker and an attorney. Finance companies only want money. They don't care why the money has stopped. The first attorney visit is free but take all your paperwork for an honest evaluation. Best of luck to you.

Best Answer

I'm sorry. You are in a tough spot. <br />
You might try a debt service or debt lawyer, but if they want a bunch of money up front or want you to sign your property over to them, walk. They are crooks. Before you sign anything, run it past a couple older people that you trust.<br />
He should be eligible for state disability and possibly social security disability. See a disability lawyer. <br />
Contact your local United Way and ask them what services you and your father might qualify for. <br />
Like Cherokee Patty suggested, ask the hospital to see a medical social worker.<br />
Good luck.

Best Answer

Thanks, we just have an apartment we rent. I've called before for the people we finance his truck through, if a payment runs into another one within two weeks it goes to the bank and the bank comes looking for it. I think I will see if I can't sign him up for state disability. I don't know if they will let me do it for him but I will try.

Best Answer

Check with the mortgage company for the house. There was a program that allowed people to delay payments in cases like yours. The finance company for the truck may delay for awhile as well. Good luck and I hope your father is soon recovered.

Best Answer