My daughter is joining the Navy, she is 18 now, I was teary eyes, but she really want this a good thing?
Gray51 Gray51 51-55, F 24 Answers May 14, 2012

Unless your daughter becomes a corpsman (medic) or a Sea Bee (construction battalion) her likelihood of seeing any war is low. Women do go on combat ships now. Please make sure she leaves with "A" school after basic training. That is Navy trade school - repairing/maintaining aircraft, working supply, electronics, they have more field than most imagine. If she doesn't have any sort of "A" school guaranteed she will probably be assigned to where ever a person is needed, like chipping rust or washing dishes or food prep.<br />
The chances are good that she will travel. She'll also be given a lot more responsibility than in the civilian world.<br />
She will be changed and you will be proud of her.

Best Answer

There you go. I would be excited.

Best Answer

Okay thank you I still am scared for her, but proud.

Best Answer

That's still my baby, but I am proud of her

Best Answer

Our children need our support in these choices.Stand with her and be proud so many would gladly take this over what their children have chosen.You raised her so there must have been somewhere in there the lesson of duty was taken to heart

Best Answer

Yes I know.

Best Answer

The biggst danger to your daughter is the men she'll be serving with.

Best Answer

Explain more please and thanks.

Best Answer
Best Answer

hope not

Best Answer

It'll be fine. One of my relatives joined the air force - they paid for all her schooling and now she is a physician in private practice in a nice house on the east coast with a beautiful baby and not a penny of debt for getting her medical degree or college. Could turn out really good for your daughter.

Best Answer

It is a great thing.<br />
The risk factor?<br />
Do the math.<br />
Car accidents, drive by's, accidental death, all present a greater risk than Navy service even during "war" time.<br />
Two sons served in the Navy. G1 for the oldest, G2 the youngest. I was upset they didn't join the Air Force but, as it turned out, the Navy was less in harms way than any of the other branches of service.<br />
While the risk may be considered low in the Navy compared to other branches, you should be proud that she is willing to risk her life in the defense of others.<br />
So many take our freedoms for granted.<br />
It is those few like your daughter that guarantee it.

Best Answer

Risk for sons is different from risk for daughter.

Best Answer

Okay thank you, that is bravery.

Best Answer

doing something she really wants is a good thing. be positive about her safety, don't be miserable and wringing your hands over something you can't control.

Best Answer

Okay I will just keep praying for her.

Best Answer

There really are worse things. She could enroll in college, lay drunk all weekend, and never go to class. She would have wasted time (which you can never get back), lots of money, and picked up habits that will take forever to drop. In the Navy, her time will be regimented. Besides, if she can get in to something like air traffic control, she could have a really good job waiting when she gets out. If she wants, she can also go to college - with at least having some idea about what she wants from it. One last thing, my heart goes out to you as a parent.

Best Answer

OKay Thank you

Best Answer

My son's in the army- he seems to be finding his way...at last

Best Answer

Good

Best Answer

My ldy's son, after drifting along aimlessly for some years after leaving school, joined the Army. His Mum wasn't too happy, but he wanted to try it, if for no other reason than to get out of a rut. <br />
It's unbelievable how he has changed from an aimless young adult to a grown man in that time.<br />
Please don't stand in your daughter's way if she wishes to do this ; and if it doesn't work out be prepared NOT to take an "I told you so" attitude. In fact, I'm sure it will be fine. Good luck to her.

Best Answer

Okay thanks I am worried about the danger she could be in.

Best Answer

Obviously there is a danger in being in the forces - it depends where a person is posted. But isn't there a danger in many jobs ? My Lady's son has already done one tour in Afghanistan without incident but I think from that point of view the Navy is a bit less likely to be in the same sort of danger, at least at present.

Best Answer

I think it is an unqualified "Good thing". She'll learn important skills, and be serving her country. The Navy especially (No offense to the other services) is a good place.

Best Answer

So do you think she'll be in any danger?

Best Answer

It's always a possibility..there's no denying. But the Navy right now is really not engaged in much actual combat.

Best Answer

It is what it is. If you try controlling her you risk losing her for a while or permanently. The goodness or badness of a situation is ba<x>sed on your perception of it. Love her continuously:)

Best Answer

Oh yes I will always love her.

Best Answer

GREAT THING! Congrats if she is accepted, they are no longer the refuge of last resort, and turn out some of the most employable people in the nation when they are discharged. Please wish her well and send my congrats... The education and travel and experience and discipline and comraderie and pension and benefits FAR outweigh the negatives.

Best Answer

Okay thank you.

Best Answer

well one person in the family won't have their head up their ***....

Best Answer

Best Answer