My goldfish stay at the top doing what look likes sucking air, is it normal?
tiffanyco23 tiffanyco23 22-25 12 Answers Apr 30, 2009

If they stay at the top, gulping for air..get a pump that makes bubbles. If your pump you have doesn't make bubbles, lower the water level or raise the pump till you see bubbles. They need oxygen! Change water {about 1/4 of the tank} At least once a week.The fish should be diving plus rising. Water too warm makes them gulp too.

Best Answer

Wiseowl is correct. While a goldfish can, like any other fish, get oxygen from water, a fish bowl runs out of oxygen VERY quickly. (a fish bowl is a very small place, and has about the same amount of oxygen to them as you would in a closed up bank vault)

Changing the water each day as suggested will give them more amounts of oxygen, but it's not really enough to make much difference. It's also true that they can get needed oxygen by their 'sucking' (actually inhaling) the air above the water, but it would be like you climbing a mountain each day to get a glass of water for you water. It can be painful and tire them out far too much for them to live long (despite what most people believe, gold fish can live VERY long lives if treated well. There's one in japan who's over 70 years old!. And that's only the age they THINK it is. They're not sure, since they can't find older records). If you can't get a pump or a tank with a pump, as a last thing get a water plant that would release oxygen in the water. Personally, I'd get the tank and pump. I think fish bowls are cruel to the poor things..

Best Answer

I think your goldfish is gay.

Best Answer

It is very normal because like humans fish need oxygen. You can fix it by getting a pump or you can dump some of the fish's water out and put some new water in every once in a while if you can't immediatly get a pump. That's what I have been doing.

Best Answer

Mine is doing the same thing and they are in a 10 gallon tank and only one of my 9 gold fish is doing it they have a pump that makes bubbles... I don't know whats wrong with my daughters fish...

Best Answer

usually if a fish is doing that they need oxygen in the water. do a partial water change and invest in one of those bubble wands to put in the bottom of the tank. Your fishie will thank you. You also need to make sure their water isn't too warm. goldfish are cold water fish they like it in the middle to upper 60's lower 70's.

Best Answer

Yes goldfish and betta fish do breath oxygen too. ;)

Best Answer

is it blowing bubbles while its doing the "sucking" thing? if it is it could be one of the types of fish that blows bubbles for its mate to lay eggs in (i dont know the names of the types of fish that do it but check it out... maybe its just that he thinks its mating season)

Best Answer