gusher1969 gusher1969 41-45 36 Answers Feb 26, 2012

Think very carefully and the answer should be obvious. Nobody works for nothing.

Best Answer

85% of truck driver do...
or they at least work for meals because that's all they buy and have no check at the end of the week

Best Answer

I find it funny how every OO that's making money here is a friend/relation of the person speaking for them. <br />
If you want the truth, then speak to the one's doing it. I have plenty of people that think I'm doing great and making huge money because I have a nice home and toys but those have been accumulated by other investments, so, as far as listening to other people..well, there's your answer.<br />
And for the genius who's telling you your not running your business correctly and or you need to run your truck 7/365 (even airlines know not to run they're equipment like that and I believe they may know a bit more than our resident genius) ...well, we all know what opinions are like<br />
I've spent years building, running and selling successful companies, so I'm entitled to say that I know what I'm doing in business but this industry is so over regulated (and they're not even close to finished yet) so underpaid and so overpriced as far as registration, Insurance, IFTA, heavy road use tax, tolls, fuel, tires, parts, maintenance, DOT stops, fines, fees etc. etc. it never ends.<br />
Lets use an example of $16,000.00 per month revenue. ($192,000.00 per year) $7000.00 is gone right away for fuel, truck payment $1,000.00, Maintenance $800 (tires, svc, repairs) Insurance, IFTA admin $600.00, misc $250.00, tolls $800 leaves $5,550.00 divided by 4.3 =$1,290.70 per week - taxes leaves you approx. $1000.00 and for that $1000.00 you'll work 60 hours per week..1000 / 60 = $16.50 per hour and that's not putting anything away for a major break down or expenses that DO happen at least a few times per year and guess where that money comes from?.<br />
So yes, many OO's do run for little to no money..And that's the FACT!...How do I know..cause I've done it..not my brother, friend, neighbor..ME!<br />
Unfortunately the industry has not kept up with cost of living and therefore, it truly is the rare or occasional OO that may find a niche and do alright and of course the BIG companies that make money but believe me..it's made on quantity because the margins are so slim.<br />
And that's my educated explanation from someone who very well knows how to run a business. Yes, our truck is up for sale and we're already onto a profitable business.<br />
Good Luck to all and God Bless the Truckers!

Best Answer

Hello "gusher1969"<br />
I started driving truck in 1987. In my first year as an OTR trucker, I made an average of $700 per week. Fast-forward to 2013 and almost every company in the OTR trucking business is trying to get suckers to drive trucks for just about that same figure! <br />
I drove for a few years to get experience, as trucking wasn't what I was planning on as a career, but as a fallback just in case. <br />
Well, life can be funny and fickle and for most of the 26 years I have been driving truck. The last 10 years I have really been giving it a 'go' to see just what could be gained in this industry. I have to tell you...my life isn't better for the ten years of trucking! <br />
As a 26 year veteran in trucking, my advice (as I have given my own kids) is to look elsewhere. Trucking isn't what it used to be. For example, the money isn't there anymore, government intrusion has taken much out of the industry, CDL's were and are nothing more than a money-grab, and the laws will continue to make it more difficult to make a living. <br />
Trucking companies will tell anyone anything to get them behind the wheel, even for just a while. Trucking companies have become (even moreso than ever) dishonest and greedy beyond measure! Eventually, they show their true colors. Figure it like this; paying 1987 wages for 2013 work! Nothing else needs said about that.<br />
The general public would rather see a trucker dead in a ditch than rolling down the road! Equate it to something along the lines of that of an attorney! You don't want them until you--personally--need them. They never realize that they need truckers everyday for everything! <br />
Too late to make this a short response now, but, yes, truckers are very under-paid and will not be paid their due, not even close! I would never and never do recommend anyone ever go in to trucking as a career. Trucking used to be considered a profession by everyone. Today, it is considered, 'just another cheap paying job." I am now looking to go into some other field of work because trucking today is a joke!

Best Answer

Additionally, (as I have read through all of the comments here) don't fall for all the hype about, "my brother-in-law is making $100,000 a year," or "...he makes a quarter of a million a year." Most of these comments are placed by trucking company sloths who are paid to place said comments. If there was that kind of money to be found in trucking today, trust me, I would have found it by now! (And so would have many many others!) The comment made by the lawyer is not correct. On this site: www.bls.gov, it states that the, "May 2012 National Occupational Employment and Wage Estimates United States" for truckers, (those being company drivers) is $33,590! Now remember, the company is paying full debt service. The owner-operator has to shoulder full debt service in his or her deal. That simply isn't enough money to live well on!
There are niche markets in the trucking industry just as there are in all occupations. However, there are far too many truckers than there are niche markets. So that point is moot. Trucking is like anything else these days; back and forth-for and against. However, as another "old saying" says--"The proof is in the pudding."

Best Answer

I got in trucking for a few months and had to get out because the pay was so ungodly low. I got into trucking because of the responses I was reading about how some people made money at it. <br />
The internet is terrible where that is concerned. Half the people will tell you that you are going to get rich and the other half will say you are going to go broke. There are a few very unusual nitches out there that make money, often with unique and expensive trailers. <br />
If your husband has just a regular Dry van or flat bed trailer and is an owner operator that is freelancing without a contract then will be lucky if he does not go broke. <br />
There are just too many truck drivers starving to death out there and a bad load that pays hardly enough to put gas in the truck and pay just a little to the driver will last about 30 seconds on the load boards before a driver will grab that load. <br />
I never had a contract so I only know trucking from the freelance load board perspective and it is a real nightmare.

Best Answer

No my daddy is a truck driver & he makes good moneyy

Best Answer

This problem is big out here as an independent trucker you need to get most of your money up front or don't take the load. And find a more reliable company to work for .

Best Answer

now days they do, most drivers do, I started in 1989. I made enough then to pay for repairs with cash, truck and trailer repair saving account, savings account, retirement account, vacation account, college account for kids, blue cross blue shield health insurance, plus taxes, everyweek, plus bills, and play money left over. meaning <br />
things for kids, wife like clothes, toys, movies, etc. I didn't have to be away from home no more than 4days and 3 nights aweek, home every weekend. It was always a rule freight had to paid both ways. If you got a backhaul that was a plus! you didn't need to make a living. It was no should a thing running 3,000 miles a week!

Best Answer
Best Answer

I came across thispost by accidentand just wanted to throw my 2 cents in there I grew up with a brother and a foster home he wasn't my real brother but me and him considered each other brothers we act like brothers we behave like brothers I was lucky and was adopted by a good family was put through college and now I'm an intellectual properties lawyer he also was adopted by a good family became a truck driver and now he's an owner operator we both live in Scottsdale Arizona he makes or I should say he nets around 140,000 a year hauling high end cars and I only earn about 35,000 more a year them him so all these people that say they don't make a dime something must be wrong with you or maybe you just got the single worst deal in the history of bad deals. the Department of Labor Statistics states that the average over the road truck driver in 2012 earn 44,280 dollars that's gross as a company driver I just looked that up not ten min ago.

Best Answer

Thera's a saying, You can't make money with the left door open.

Best Answer

I see some of you say good money and some of you say bad money. It surely depends on who you drive for and how you drive. How much ambition you have. I don't have a spouse so I don't worry about going home very often. I will also say I lease a truck through a company, not on my name but I make the payments. Where I make my money is training new drivers for them. I can say I easily gross about $250K before expenses and usually put in the bank about $80K - $100K each year. I'm only in my 40's but plan to retire in about 4 more years.

Best Answer

Figure it out, He makes say 90k but when you add in fuel, repairs, food, toll fee's, truck payment.H may end up with 30k.

Best Answer

I have not driven long haul or any other way since the 1980’s so I may not be much help but from what I remember the one thing that was really lacking was how any truck driver was compensated for the amount of time given to the job. I think when a company or a lease company decides on where they have to spend money, the driver is the last on the list when they really should be the first. And that is for the drivers. I did not own my own rig but drove for a friend that had five trucks leased on to a company that dispatched and he said if he didn’t have at least five trucks so one could offset what he lost on another run he would go under. As a result he eventually did. If there is one thing that shocked the hell out of me was how clueless the general public is about what drivers have to do in that job for pay ba<x>sed on an economy of fifty years ago. Everything else keeps going up in price but the pay per mile has not matched the increase a bit. By the time they get paying for all the licenses, fuel, living out of restaurants, and God help you if you break down, there is usually nothing left. I know it’s easy to be spectacle when you see the dollar figure spent on the truck and moving the load, but after taking care of everything but the truck payment for one guy I drove for, I realized just how bad it really is. I was supposed to be paid on percentage of what the load paid to haul it, well twenty five percent of nothing is still nothing. As you can see you hit a real nerve with me. I covered the entire country and Canada at one time and the demands of that job aren’t even humane if you ask me. And on top of it, if you are going to make any money to stay competitive with the big commercial carriers, there is no way you can stay within the guidelines and laws of speed, and hours driven. It’s till in my blood as they say because it becomes a real part of you, but the cost is just to high on the personal side. And any company that says you will have home time is full of it. Good luck with that. Every company said that when I started and the only way I could get home was quit the company. So does trucking pay? My wife got a check one time for twenty some dollars for a two week run I did to the west coast that turned out to have many stops on the way back, and from feeding myself and motel expenses taken out of my advance there was a whole twenty dolor check waiting for me when I got home.

Best Answer

Sounds about right - from an experienced trucker...

Best Answer

Well then hes not putting in enough hours...The only way a truck makes money is that it needs to run 24-7 have you tried hiring a second person to drive team

Best Answer

When the business is run right he should make good money. Understand that the wave of freight goes up and down but only to the point that he may sit a day or two before he can get a load. Truck Drivers make this country run. They are the reason there are groceries on the shelves and buildings can be built. They deliver whatever it is to do whatever is being done or whatever is being consumed. He needs to know more about running his business or go back to being a company driver. I work in the business and too many truck drivers don't want to learn what they are doing wrong. A good friend of mine took home 175,000.00 before taxes last year as an owner/operator. He has been in the trucking business 8 years. Sorry if that seems a little harsh but many times is the reality.

Best Answer

i think it depends on what you haul..the length of trip..the route..all of that plays into it..

Best Answer

My sister's X husband makes good money as truck driver.

Best Answer

Someone is not telling you the whole story.

Best Answer

I work P&D in the city and short hauls out. I get paid very well by the hour. Paid by the mile is crazy if they stop all the time or are not paid for drop times

Best Answer

Exactly!!!

Best Answer

I see you posted this awhile back. If your husband is still driving, please have him contact me or you yourself feel free to contact me. I run a trucking business and have been in it with my family for awhile now. We work with companies all across the U.S. and I make sure my drivers are at their highest earning potential. Please give me a call 319-883-1756 and that goes for anyone else in the transportation field.

Best Answer