I have server social anxiety and shyness and I have a disorder called selective mutism, I have a huge phobia of public speaking that I cant speak to people who aren't my family. because of my disorder I cant speak to my therapist and she is starting to give up on me, she claims she doesn't know what to do and how to help me because I wont talk to her. she sometimes try's to force me to speak and it's really hard. I always feel so bad after therapy and my therapist is convincing my parents that im just being stubborn and that im not speaking for attention. she doesn't understand my disorder, selective mutism and I feel like she's turning my parents against me and is making them not believe my disorder. what do I do ?
silentgirl1234 silentgirl1234 13-15, F 4 Answers May 6 in Community

This is very sad.. It appears that she is under qualified to treat your condition. Could you begin by writing her notes? Just telling her how you feel about the whole subject of being in therapy and what you are hoping to achieve when therapy is over.<br />
If you were my client I would have suggested we begin treatment this way ..given the nature of your condition I certainly would not of expected you to enter into verbal conversation at such a delicate stage. So please don't blame yourself. Blame your therapist, she's clearly out of depth.

Best Answer

I have problems with social anxiety disorder as well and it's hard for me too talking to my therapist but I think I'm getting used to it the more I go there. But in your case I would like to ask you if it's easier for you to express yourself in a letter? I always felt more comfortable like that because I didn't have to look in the other persons eyes. So I would say you should write down everything you can't say and either give it to your therapist or your parents

Best Answer

join the club.

Best Answer