I am 24 and taking a continuing education class at my local college for something I am very passionate about. However, I CANNOT seem to keep my mind of the prerequisite work for more than about ten minutes before my mind starts to wander. Sometimes I don't even know it's wandering until I realize it. I also realize that it's an oxymoron to say I'm very passionate about this career choice but I can't concentrate on it. I have a hard time concentrating due to years of a mother who never made me study or develop study habits. She had a lot going on though so I don't want to place the blame on her. I've looked up Adderall and Ritalin. I don't really want to get a prescription for any drugs because I'm a little afraid I'll become addicted. Also I've never posted anything on a public forum before so hopefully this question doesn't seem too all over the place. That's how this message looks to me. If anyone has any advice I'd be really grateful for it. Have a wonderful day.
Cheery23 Cheery23 22-25, F 6 Answers Mar 4 in Embarrassing & Funny

You could go to a naturopath. They create personal, natural treatments of people. There are a lot of natural remedies you can use. The other thing you could try is mindfulness exercises.

Best Answer

I've never heard of a naturopath before. I also don't know what mindfulness exercises are. Is that something a naturopath reccomends or specializes in?

Best Answer

A naturopath is a doctor of natural medicine. Mindfulness exercises can be used to increase attention span. If you google you will find lots of sites.

Best Answer

do you listen to music when you study.. not loud music, just enough for your sub conscious to be content and entertained, so you can focus on your studies.... also you might try to set a timer... 30 min... then 15 off... 30 on... and so on.... then it gives your head a break to soak the last 30 min of info in... also letting that other part of your brain break from the music... might work sweetie...

Best Answer

Thank you. A timer will become one of my best friends. I'll do that!

Best Answer

Concentration is a skill gained with practice. I think that you are a passionate individual who does want to take on this career and degree seriously, but without that focus, it will be near impossible to accomplish. I would recommend some concentration exercises and reflective time to gear yourself towards the direction of your dreams. Also, if I could message you and ask some more detailed questions about yourself, then I may be able to more effectively help you.

Best Answer

You can ask me anything. I'd love to know how to better concentrate. All these answers reinforce what I should already know, but these are answers that most people should be reminded of occasionally. I'd appreciate the help. Thanks!

Best Answer

Try not to crap in your own nest…that is all

Best Answer

That'll be tough but I'll try.

Best Answer

I always got more into my studies by listening to my favorite music. Helped my mind not to wander.

Best Answer