So, I have finally been accepted into my dream college, and everything is great... except for the classmates. They're like stale bread: stiff, cold, simply asocial. When I try to talk to any of them, they would politely respond to my "hello" and then resume texting or playing angry birds. They cannot wait to get out of the classroom, and they have made it clear they do not want to socialize (they would politely decline even getting coffee together, even though they usually stand next to me in line to get it!) What do I do? I am not used to it, and I do not want to spend another 3 years that way... I do have good friends outside of school, but I'd like to have friends in the school as well. Is it maybe because they are all working medical professionals around my age (in their 30s)? There is only one social individual there, but since he's still undergrad, we no longer have classes together (we do catch up, though, on a monthly basis). Any ideas how to make my classmates social in class?
imnewherefyi imnewherefyi 31-35, M 5 Answers Apr 8 in Dating & Relationships

Some poeple are not social. You don't get into uni/college etc ba<x>sed of social skills! Thank god for me. You can't make someone social. They are or they are not, maybe they will meet someone one day and become social. Don't force others into unconfortable situations and accept that you have unsocial classmates.

Best Answer

The only issue I see, is a grown a$$ man who can't handle a simple little situation like this on his own, I think you're 1-5 ,not 31-35

Best Answer

Gee, thanks:) Well, I did not say that was a big problem. I can handle things alright, but I've graduated from another university already and do know that things could be different.

Best Answer

Did you not visit the campus first?

Best Answer

Unfortunately, that was the only school I could afford within the 100 mile radius. Med programs are super-expensive. I did not expect much from the school's students, but since I'm stuck here for years, I am wondering how to make it work. Also, I do like the professors (if only the students were half as social).

Best Answer

Dream school? Seems like the only option rather than the dream option. Why care about if they are social or not? You're there to learn, not hang out.

Best Answer

Well, there are labs, group projects... Ever had to work with asocial people? Not great. Thanks for your down-to-earth comments, though:)

Best Answer