Ok so I go to a great local state college, my gpa was ok, so I knew I couldn't get into the best colleges. I knew I was at a state college level and the one I go to is one of the top ones. Where I live the rent is ridiculously expensive and 10k a year for student housing was out of the question. I decided to stay home. This has saved me a ton of debt, but my self esteem has suffered a bit. I help out as much as i can around the house and I don't have a paying job, but I volunteer. I feel like such a loser living at home cause many times my parents don't see me as independent, I don't drive, but 99% of the time I get to places by myself. When I get lectured I am told how good I have it compared to other students. My brother moved out for college and I am compared to him a lot too. How can I feel like less of a loser living at home? (some people I know also live at home). I plan to move out when I go to further my education.
Russianclomooogirl Russianclomooogirl 22-25, F 5 Answers Jan 24, 2013 in Self Improvement

Been there. I know it sucks, and it takes a lot of hard work to get out (especially in this economy) but I'm sure you'll be ok.

Best Answer

You are not a loser. I lived at home throughout my college years- and now I do while looking for a house. Don't let people get you down. You know who you are.

Best Answer

Both of my daughters have college degrees: 1 in Psychology; the other is an RN. They are now back living at home temporarily, saving money in order to pay off those nasty student loans and have enough to get a really nice home/apartment. They are far from losers -- they're the BEST! And guess what? So are you!

Best Answer

Lots of college students live at home. it doesn't make you a loser by any means and you're right, it's a lot more cost effective than living away.<br />
Maybe try getting a night job to get yourself out of the house and some self confidence. When I was in college, I waited tables through the weekends and I made enough money to get myself an affordable apartment off campus. Also having a job under your belt by the time you get out of college will help you miles. Believe me, even if you were Einstein, if you try to get a job with a blank resume except for some volunteering, it'll be a long hard road.

Best Answer

stop listening to your parents you are doing what is best for you. focus on school and finding a job so you can move out. i am 23 my man is 24 we live with his mom because we have a son and cannot afford to move out right now. he got a job so we are paying off our bills then we are going to move. take advantage of being able to live with your parents for free. if it gets to be to much, see if you have a friend you can live with and work out something.

Best Answer