caithness caithness 51-55, F 14 Answers Jul 10, 2012

i expect I'm going to have to try one or the other while I'm there. But which one?

Best Answer

go for the toad in the hole...spotted di ck could be hard to order without laughing!

Best Answer

Hahaha. Too true. I will def try the toad in the hole then.

Best Answer

Yes both are ok, sometimes both on the same day.

Best Answer

i stay well away from a spotted ****...you couldn't pay me to put it anywhere my mouth.

it's full of suet.

Best Answer

lol! I can't imagine ordering it in a restaurant without laughing.

Best Answer

yep..if i was the serving your table i'd go Ewwwwwwwww

Best Answer

Toad in the hole is ok but spotted dik yuck! never going to try that

Best Answer

Its a fruity suet pudding and with a freshly homemade custard its great winter food.

Best Answer

i know thats why im not going to try it that its just a giant sticky overgrown fruitcake

Best Answer

Spotted **** and toad in the hole are very English dishes. Spotted **** is dried fruit suet pudding and toad in the hole is sausages in batter. Both are quite nice if made properly. Not all English cooking is bad!!!!

Best Answer

I would love to try both, but especially the toad in the hole...

Best Answer

I've had a toad in the hole, admittedly I was hoping he'd turn into a prince but such is life! I've always made a point of avoiding spotted dicks, you have to draw the line somewhere!

Best Answer

I like toad in the hole but Ive never tried spotted **** LMAO

Best Answer

Such funny names for food...lol

Best Answer

Yeah they are lol

Best Answer

Never tried spotted di ck, but the first time i saw the can/ label in the grocery store " foreign" foods section, i burst out in laughter. That was fun.

Best Answer

This is absolutely true. One Easter while coloring eggs with my kids, I spilled a cup full of Blue dye in my lap. I was only wearing my Boxers and wound up with a Blue spotted D!ck. It stayed that way for about a week or so.

Best Answer

I've eaten spotted d ick, a few times when in the UK. and it was hard to order with a straight face. , Krogers oddly now carries it or did, the first time I saw the blue can proudly announcing Spotted D ick, I died laughing, I place a can in my cart, carried it up to the cashier and proudly stated, " I have spotted ****" then started laughing at the reactions of the old ladies behind me who thought I was proud of having a venereal disease LOL. it was even funnier when I showed them the can LOL oh some people have no sense of humor the prudes LOL

Best Answer

I've made my own toad in the hole a few times. It's fun tearing the hole out of the toast and then cracking the egg and pouring it into the hole.

Best Answer

I shall try it in the morning for breakfast! Wonder what the husband will think he is getting?

Best Answer

Im british ducky. I know the recipes.

Best Answer

I knew that they were British, my mum used to tell me the funny names they had for food when she was wee...she never told me what they were...lol

Best Answer

Im not a whizz at puddings but my Toad in the hole is top scoff. Its the extra ingriedients, like the type of sausage you use. What beer or pepper you use in the batter and my gravy is second to none. Im very proud of skills. lol

Best Answer

could you tell me your recipe? Please???

Best Answer

I cant really, i stopped using measurements fo all the basics 25 or so years ago. But a lot of it is using the best or in the case of beer batter the cheapest ingredients. Cheap lager is so much better than guiness or german beer lager. Fine ground black pepper and some paprika in the batter works well and the sausage has to beef and pork, a perfect balance of spice, rusk and meat. A fine cumberland sausage or a good german bratwurst. Its hard to help here. lol. Gravy should only be about taste, never what you should or shouldnt use. ive used 4 types of stock cubes, fresh beef blood, french mixed herbs, herbs du provence are good, maybe fresh thyme. Even spring and cooking onions together in the gravy is nice, but not everyone likes that. Take the base recipe of a simple batter and gravy and experiment. in small portions in never wasted and can be used for something else if its not right. Any help? (feel like aunty olafsen here. lol)

Best Answer

And like i said im not great with desserts except funnily apple pie. Its quite sublime. But i use a basic Spotted Richard recipe and add very tiny pieces of whatever fresh fruit is available, apricot, peaches. Honey works well but it can burn if your not vigilante and ive even had a chocolate nutty version of spotty but ive no idea how that works.

Best Answer