abritishgirl abritishgirl 18-21, F 3 Answers Nov 21, 2012 in Hobbies

What an idea! LBJ is one of this country's underrated Presidents. He recognized that the US could never prevail in Vietnam, started Medicare and is responsible for quite a few laws regarding voting and civil rights for minorities. He was in the Senate for many years. One could say he "knew where all of the skeletons were buried." In those days the Republicans were sane, had good ideas and were willing to negotiate. Most southern politicians couldn't stand for blacks to be given equal rights (Dixiecrats). They joined the Republicans and that party began its journey into crazytown. LBJ knew he lost the south for the Democrats by expanding civil and voting rights.<br />
Today civil rights are denied to the LGBT community. Voting procedures could be streamlined. This country's hugely expensive overseas military presence could be reduced in addition to ending the war in Afghanistan. Germany is in no danger of being invaded by the Soviet Union. Remember the USSR? Obamacare is a good start but Americans and business would fare much better with universal single payer over the for profit health system we have now.<br />
LBJ Obama's guiding light? Absolutely!

Best Answer

I think that the spirit of crossing party lines to do the right thing (e.g., the Voting Rights Act) that existed in Johnson's time is dead and gone.

Best Answer

It was a risk and he knew it. It was the right thing. Both of us are old enough to see and experience the end of legal segregation in the US.

Best Answer

I couldn't write that any better. For all his faults, and all the struggle, he did the greatest good of any president in my lifetime. After him, Democrats started moving rightward.

Best Answer

Probably the Telegraph realizes that it would take very little to lead Mr. Obama, and LBJ fits that bill. Maybe Obama will start a big useless war as Johnson did.

Best Answer

He's too arrogant to use anyone as a guiding light. He just claims to so he can pass blame on them, instead of taking responsibility for his failures.

Best Answer

I dont care about that THIS IS L. B. ************* J!!!
The guy who took a **** in front of a dozen people at a party after his retirement THAT LBJ?!

Best Answer

He had abysmal policies and only got in due to his allegedly "sympathetic" view towards the minorities, kind of like how Obama got in. Maybe that is the parallel they are drawing.

Best Answer

No more than likely they just have no Idea whats going on over here... I have such a different point of view since I came to this country...

Best Answer

Or they have a different view because they are detached from the situation, the way in which he got elected, aside from being suspect, also relied heavily on the minority vote, much like LBJ. Many of Obama's crappy policies also lean in the direction of being pro-minority, see how well that worked out for LBJ? There are those living in other countries that correctly equate many of his policies with socialist ones, yet Americans, born and raised, simply ignore this. I don't think they were suggesting he ACT like LBJ, just follow LBJs policies, which can't be any worse than the tripe he has been churning out.

Best Answer