I'm looking to move and would like to explore options other than CA as the cost of living here is quite outrageous. My primary concerns aside from cost of living would be outdoor recreation/nature, low crime rate, and having the nearest city be exciting with lots to offer. I'm quite the hermit, but would like to change that - and am curious to hear from others their experiences having lived in or currently residing in other states!
eMonkey eMonkey 26-30, M 10 Answers Jul 5, 2012

I live in a constant state of ecstacy!

Best Answer

I haven't heard of that one - and where might that be, as I would certainly have to give it serious consideration! A constant state of ecstasy would be just splendid, hoping for at least 50% ecstasy after having moved from this hell hole :P Thanks for the fun answer!

Best Answer

Wyoming - it has the least number of people.

Best Answer

Wyoming is a good choice for that very reason, and I'd love to be in an area with far less people than the crowded CA I'm currently part of. Our extended family had some property out there, however I've never been. I'd love to check it out and will certainly give it some thought, thanks!

Best Answer

less crowds.. my thinking too

Best Answer

SHUT UP don't tell the secret damnit!

Best Answer

Best Answer

I live in rural Alabama. There is low crime rate and plenty of outdoors stuff with rivers and lakes everywhere. The weather is technically temperate even though we have some cold and some hot. Where I live, I can get to one major city - Atlanta - pretty quick. And I can get to three midmajor cities - Birmingham, Chattanooga and Huntsville - pretty quick. If I have my way, I'll live in this same house for the rest of my life. :)

Best Answer

I'd love to own a home anywhere - unfortunately we will be renting for some time yet before being in a position to own. I haven't given much thought to the inland states, except for a few such as CO and Northern AZ, I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the reply and your input, really appreciate it!

Best Answer

Alabama isn't inland. Well, a big percentage is - but the southern end is part of the Gulf of Mexico.

Best Answer

California, arguably the best surf. But given your cost of living thing, Oregon

Best Answer

I am heavily steering towards Oregon, should we leave CA. I love Northern CA - the further the better, and have lived up there before near the Oregon border. Sadly, I never managed to make it up into Oregon to check it out - and now it's rather far to simply take a drive, lol. Not so far as Washington, though I'm particularly interested in that state as well. I'd be somehow comforted being on the coast as going inland makes me a bit claustrophobic, fear of being landlocked! I know it's silly, surely I could overcome it, but Oregon could accommodate quite nicely without having to. Thanks for the answer!

Best Answer

I always liked the idea of living in Vermont, though I have only been once so someone who's actually from there might feel differently.<br />
I live in New Jersey, and there's a nice abundance of local produce and artisan food goods, though I don't know if I'd say it's the most desirable.

Best Answer

So many options to consider, thank you for the response and your experience with Vermont! I'm very much hoping to leave the state, yet halfway expecting that it won't be that simple as my wife is hesitant, and there is more involved in such a move. Thanks again for the input :)

Best Answer

Texas has job growth,low cost of living and has many many different areas of it that could appeal to you.Texas also is considered a low tax state.<br />
I moved from Orange County to Seattle but it is only slightly less expensive but no where near as crowded.We do not have state income tax and we also have very clean air to breath and the best water in the nation.Tons of outdoor stuff too.

Best Answer