The world has been using crude oil for thousands of years in one way or another. At one time people just collected oil that made it to the surface on it's own, then we started drilling for it. The average production today of the world is somewhere in the neighborhood of 92 million barrels - every day. So, my question is: Is oil a finite resource? Just the remains of truely ancient life that has been squashed and heated by the earth and over millions of years turned into crude? Or is oil somehow being constantly produced by some other means?
tbaskco tbaskco 41-45, M 6 Answers Jul 6, 2012

Oil was once organic plant life. Just like coal. Once it is gone, it is gone.

Best Answer

At current consumption, viable oil reserves will be exhausted in less than 50 years. It is not a sustainable resource.

Best Answer

From what I've read it appears there are several ways oil is created, but the most common large deposits we've been using are mostly old life. They tend to provide the best quality oil. It's possible to create synthetic oil in the lab and do so even cheaply but, again, its just not the same quality.

Best Answer

I truly feel no one knows the answer to this question.

Best Answer