My friend came up with this idea. He said by using a diode/transformer (or something related I can't remember) in the center of the nano-bot, electrons could be coordinated and acting like a nerves to move a bot's limbs this way, the voltage giving the legs jolts. moving electrons to one side while it quickly goes to the other side, and so on to give walking or swimming motion. it would require no motors..and a chip in the middle would be self sustained once it runs by the alternating current that then coordinates its own current. i cant understand this stuff well so is it a good idea?
hobbyt hobbyt 18-21, M 3 Answers Dec 28, 2012 in Education

That would require something analogous to muscle tissue in their "limbs." Sounds like more difficulty than it's worth, as fuel must also be distributed in some sort of circulatory system also.

Best Answer

But why would you do this in the first place? That kind of self sustaining would never work.

Best Answer

Nope... Even electrons are subject minuscule amounts of friction, when they scrape other electrons and such. It'd need some kind of power source, and really, the technology isn't there yet to allow precise control of free-floating electrons on such a small scale.

Best Answer

did my friend have a good idea though? he wants to know sorta.

Best Answer

I'm not into Physics much, I only had a couple classes. All I can say for sure is that there would need to be some kind of power source, because self-sustaining motion is impossible outside of a vacuum.

Best Answer