Child is being severely verbally abused by her father and denied a bed and other comforts when he considers that she has done something wrong which is all the time she is only 15 I have attempted to speak to her counselor and other 'authority' figures they are either reporting everything the child says to her parents or have informed me that they have no intention of assisting the child and getting her into a better situation. She is frightened and does not want me to contact the local child service center but I think that may be the only option I have short of attempting to speak to the parents which has so far resulted in the possibility of her being sent to an even worse environment where physical abuse is at a higher risk despite her father raising his hand to slap her this very morning. Please someone I need advice.
CurioCity74 CurioCity74 18-21, F 10 Answers Aug 17, 2012 in WTK

Taking the bed away? Seriously? Go ahead an call CPS. I've seen things like this before, and it isn't likely to get better if you leave it alone.

Best Answer

What are the odds that they will actually do anything I've had dealings with the CPS in this area and they did nothing for me as a child.

Best Answer

You could try another office. Just tell them the facts and see if they respond differently. Sometimes they have to do oversight on each other because certain offices suck.

Best Answer

Okay thank you I will try that

Best Answer

Get tape recordings if possible. If you can, get cell phone photos of your friend sleeping on the floor. Do this without putting yourself in danger. You would have to be unobtrusive. Show the photos and recordings to the police.

Best Answer

Thank you that is great advice

Best Answer

Verbal abuse is very hard to prove.. I know been there as child myself. I have had therapy to try and get past it.. That is what I suggest see if you can get her in to see a psychologist to do an interview.. get his recommendations.. <br />
Seems the counselor she has isn't doing her justice reporting back to those that are either doing it or allowing it.. <br />
Verbal abuse can in some cases be just as bad as physical.. especially if combined.. Also if this has only started might be the teen acting out because she isn't getting what she wants.. you need to make sure what the truth is here.. before jumping to conclusions only on her say so.. they will want proof and you should also have it .. <br />
hugs n prayers.. for the truth to be revealed.. for everyone's sake..

Best Answer

My little step brother and sister both account that the abuse has been consistent since the girl's fifth year of school, thank you for your support and advice

Best Answer

Saying prayers that something works out..

Best Answer

We all are legally obligated to report to any who will listen. CPS, police, church, their familes(extended members) . Most teens wont speak out, i did not nor did i accept offers of help. We get accustomed to our lifestyles. It seems normal because its all we know. Get proof. Do something, anything. Be there for her to see that not all families are cruel. Please get involved. Not getting involved may be safe and easy. But can you live with yourself if it escalates . And remember, its probably ten times worse than you even know . I will pray for yall.

Best Answer

its almost impossible to prove verbal abuse- the physical abuse cases are going to take priority

Best Answer

If you are an educator, by law you MUST call CPS. Stand up for that child.

Best Answer

I am standing up, it feels like I am the only one willing to do so here. Her mother is a teacher and witnesses the abuse but denies it.

Best Answer

Get more facts. The bed alone won't work. You need dates and times. And, if you see physical scarring (unfortunately that is usually the only way authorities get involved), call the authorities right away while the marks are still fresh. I am very sorry to hear this.

Best Answer