soulsearchingforever soulsearchingforever 26-30, F 11 Answers Dec 28, 2012 in Intimacy

It's a way of keeping score ... in some people's minds it tells themselves, I'm better than the next person because I have more stuff than them ... for other people they have no self worth unless they have what the other people have ... it's all a sick process because in the end we all end up in the same place and you can't take it with you

Best Answer

That is a really good question, even I have more junk then I need. The mentality of "you never know when you going to need it" or "keeping up with the Jones's" is pretty lame. It's interesting, you want to be noticed, then the next thing you know people are watching, just waiting for you to trip up...

Best Answer

never understood it myself. especially when I was like that in my 20s. i learned later that friends and family are worth more. you can keep the stuff. friends and family can never be replaced.

Best Answer

It's because as adults we are measured by our education,earnings, status,title, possessions and attractiveness .We talk about our vacations as if they dictate our value.Magazines dictate ideal body shapes and fashions.The media pummels us with the idea that owning a bigger house, a flashier car or the latest gadget will somehow make us happier........................That sounds like a crazy way to live..

Best Answer

may I please lick ;p> your stuff ? :)

Best Answer

I think its a survival instinct thats a hold over from less civilized times. A caveman won't easily give up a possession that he risked life and limb to get. People like shiny stuff as well, especially if it makes the neighbours jealous.

Best Answer

I personally feel the world would be a simpler place if money didn't exist..if people went back to trading time/skills for things they need..rather than things they want, society is going mad driven by greed/the constant want for more...people are what matter, not shiny things...I guess I have a pretty symplistic view on things!

Best Answer

its much easier than being still

Best Answer

They are fascinated by materiality.

Best Answer

materiallism / the need / the want to be one up from everyone else is soul destroying..why cant people find contentment in what they have???

Best Answer

Perhaps materiality is confined to one lifetime. A lot of people believe in one life with nothing afterwards. Thus, they indulge themselves now. Some people collect things so they can remember points in time in the past or because they need something to while away the many boring days of their lives. Materiality is a time killer. A coping mechanism to help ward off insanity. A possession represents something of importance for a reason that is personal to that soul but is meaningless to anyone else. It is also through objects that we remember people we love or lost.

Best Answer