or know what is like as a person with a mental health condition or disability to have people patronise you or treat you like an idiot because of something you were either born with or developed... be it a physical disability, learning disability ,behaviouraldisability ,sensory disability or a mental health condition
diagram diagram 22-25, M 7 Answers Jan 18 in Community

I am aspie as well. YEP, it's a sad fact that PLENTY of NT's are quick to label us, denigrate us, and just be jerks about it.

I fart in their general direction.

Best Answer

Good. it is what they deserve.

Best Answer

I do not. I have a friend with a daughter with Asperger's and a great grandson who is autistic with a whole slew of other problems including being mentally arrested at the age of three, and a seizure disorder.

Best Answer

Either baffle em with your brilliance or dazzle them with b.s.

People are like gems. Many different facets and the value that you see in them depends on how you hold them.

Every single person is comforted by a friendly word when left in the dark for a long period of time.

Best Answer

I don't think that way at all. One of my closest friends has Aspergers and I think she is awesome. Three of my friends have children who are autistic and it breaks my heart to see them have to fight for their children to be treated normal.

Best Answer

thanks it feels like an uphill struggle to have a normal life if you are autistic especially when you are high functioning and aware of it

Best Answer

I can only imagine. There is such a stigma associated with any kind of mental illness or emotional disorder. Doesnt seem fair.

Best Answer

Yes hence my question I wanted to a) ask if others experience this and b) call out ppl who do think this and find out why

Which in hindsight is probably incitement to trolling

Best Answer

I call people out on it all the time. I just don't care. Whats wrong is wrong.

Best Answer

Diagram. I have worked for companies such as The Wall Street Journal and other prestigious companies. I have two beautiful daughters and have had some wonderful relationships. It gets easier as you get older. I was 25 when things finally started coming together for me, so you are almost there.

Best Answer

@Stlcrzy Aspergers is not all bad, it comes with plenty of gifts as well.

Best Answer

I have been called a "retard" in school before. I'm schizophrenic. These were the same kids who saw me read ahead in Science class and know all the answers before the teacher asked the questions. Maybe "retard" was just a little easier for them to say than a big word like "schizophrenic".

I think people with mental disabilities usually aren't of low intelligence, but often what's going on in their mind or how their mind works may sometimes keep them from effectively using their intelligence.

Best Answer

Actually, it's the reverse. People with HIGH intelligence are more likely to have mental illness. I say it comes from having to deal with morons like Linnard.

Best Answer

I have an IQ of 160 (none of that online crap. I had myself evaluated professionally.) and the only mental illness I have ever been diagnosed with is OCD. Your premise fails there.

Best Answer

Oh, I have no doubt that you were "evaluated professionally" linnard, just that it involved IQ. I also suspect that this "professional evaluation" may have been court ordered.

Best Answer

I scored very high on almost all of the aptitude tests for math, speech, language, reading when I tried to do vocational rehabilitation. I also scored high on online intelligence tests.
I have some artistic aptitude, I make post-industrial music, which I suppose, fits the general stereotype of the mentally ill being artistic but most music artists that I have heard of were bipolar. I think Trent Reznor is bipolar but I'm not sure.

Best Answer

Interesting I don't know how schizo affective disorder affects concentration and memory nor intelligence or cognition

Best Answer

I have schizophrenia and it seems like some things I have an uncommonly accurate memory of and other things I have much more trouble remembering than other people. I can't identify why it is I remember the things I remember or why I forget what I forget.

Best Answer

Oh, I see, Linnard is our newest member. He is here to set us all straight, and we are all supposed to believe everything he says, because...................??? Hmmm I can't think of any reason why we are to believe anything he says. He has the fancy words alright. Fancy words don't make good friends.

Best Answer

I say it as it is. Asperger Syndrome is a neurodevelopmental disorder, and studies have shown associations between it and defective genes, as well as brain damage.

I know lots of people with it, people say oh these people are geniuses because they can name every train in the world. But really, without general intelligence (a mixture of adequate social, emotional, creative and logical intellect), you're nothing but a tool.

There's no evidence that Albert Einstein or the like had Asperger Syndrome, by the way.

Best Answer

ok fair enough knowledge is nothign without intelligence , my point was more pertaining to mental health and disability discrimination
; to be fair im not a genius nor have i ever claimed to be

Best Answer

Autism is a disability - saying so isn't discrimination. You'd be less subject to discrimination if your kind isn't biologically hardwired to pertain to psychopathy and an obsession with shooting little kids.

Best Answer

so we should also discriminate against many americans for having a gun fetish and thinking the founding fathers intended the right to bear arms every household should carry a semi automatic that can slaughter entire towns?

Best Answer

Ouch. I need to see the study to see the stats on this. Percentage wise, that is. How many killers have aspergers or autism and how many don't. You are painting them all with the same brush which is what bigots all over the world do when they paint all black people with the same brush or all Christians or all Jews. Show me the stats. Got a link? Or a book you have read?

Best Answer

Evidently, you have not read Hans Asperger's papers. Malice, or the desire to commit evil for pleasure, is rather common in Asperger's. As is retarded hand-flapping and physically ungraceful tard rage when they can't get their own way.

Best Answer

hand flapping or tics is a response , calling it retarded is slightly derogatory ; as i rage or overemotional reponses to stress

Best Answer

@Serenitree. People with AS have a LOWER tendency towards crime than the general public. The school shooter who was AS had other SEVERE mental illnesses that fueled him. AS does not cause violence.

Best Answer

There's no evidence Adam Lanza had any other disorder aside from Asperger Syndrome. Are you denying the fact that its original term was Autistic Psychopathy by Hans Asperger himself?

Best Answer

Wasn't that in the 1940's? You know around the time the mentally ill were treated with lobotomy's and electroshock therapy?

Best Answer

such as psychopathy or anti social behaviour disorder

Best Answer

There is anecdotal evidence. Those of us with AS can be highly productive, especially if our obsessions are in math or science. One fellow with AS was featured on Stan Lee's super humans. He learned the Icelandic language in a week. Savant skills are also ten times more prevalent in people with AS/Autism than in the general population.

Best Answer

You can be obsessed with math and science but without adequate social skills you'll get nowhere. You have no idea how important social skills are in a laboratory when you have to work as a team.

Best Answer

@Linnard. You are a world-class jackass, commenting on a subject you know nothing about. We have difficulty with social skills, but we are not incapable of them. Quite frankly, you are demonstrating far fewer social skills in this thread than most people on the spectrum as you are being deliberately nasty, while most people on the spectrum would NEVER deliberately be nasty.

Best Answer

Jackass I may be, I am a realist. Get used to it.

Best Answer

@Linnard, no, just a Jackass, nothing realistic about you at all. Don't worry, you will probably end up working for someone like us. That is if your career ever involves anything more complex than putting fries in the fryer. Enjoy your McFuture!

Best Answer

By the way, I'm working to get a BS or PhD in medicine. I think you have me all wrong.

Best Answer

Right, except there is no BS in medicine, it's a PREMED degree. I think you are fibbing. :D That's alright, just remember to ask the customers if they want small, medium, or large fries.

Best Answer

he means bsc darkness , hes just using a reductive arguement ; psychopathy or mass killings are rare and difficult to extrapolate causes

Best Answer

That doesn't apply to my country because my university does BS courses in pharmacology. Also I am not equating autistic people to rocks. If you can't get a job then society will view you as worthless.

Best Answer

Does "how far someone gets" determine their worth?
I don't respect that attitude.

Best Answer

@mike. I don't respect bullies.

Best Answer

Are you assuming that a rock has a moral worth in society?

Best Answer

A rock has more worth than you do, Linnard.

Best Answer

I can socialize adequately. I can walk properly, as well as score 160 on a psychiatrist's IQ evaluation. I have general intelligence. A rock cannot do that. An Aspie can only do one or two of those things.

Best Answer

Oh, Linnard, I'm sure you'll have many more court ordered evaluations.

Best Answer

socialisation is an interesting thing , it can be taught ; empathy is also split between cognitive empathy eg i think alex is sad and affective empathy i feel alex is sad

also asd has compassion which psychopaths do not

Best Answer

why is an autistic a rock? a person with aspergers or autism has conciousness whereas a rock can never have conciousness, true they or i may not interact or communicate as a person without autism but the high functioning types still communicate

Best Answer

That's sad that with an IQ of 160 you don't know the difference between a human being and a rock. It seems like you are being just the type of person this question is about. When you say Aspie's are school shooters because a small amount were that's prejudice. Use that intelligence to evaluate yourself.

Best Answer

quite but so is ability to commuinicate its a catalogue ; humanity has individuals with varying levels and strengths

Best Answer

right as is the ability to innovate or are we ignoring the works of nikolai tesla , edison and einstein who all lack team working skills and were profoundly disagreeable

Best Answer

born on a blue day his book was called

Best Answer

you are speaking of david tannet

Best Answer

Oh, BTW sweetums....Famous People Who Have/Had Aspergers Syndrome
Adam Young, multi-instrumentalist, producer and the founder of the electronic project Owl City.
Adrian Lamo, American computer hacker
Carl Soderholm, speaker in neuropsychiatric disorders
Clay Marzo, American professional surfer
Craig Nicholls, frontman of the Australian garage rock band, The Vines
Dan Aykroyd, comedian and actor: Aykroyd stated he has Asperger's, but some feel he was joking.
Daniel Tammet, British autistic savant, believed to have Asperger Syndrome
Daryl Hannah, actress
Dawn Prince-Hughes, PhD, primate anthropologist, ethologist, and author of Songs for the Gorilla Nation
Gary Numan, British singer and songwriter
Heather Kuzmich, fashion model and reality show contestant on America's Next Top Model
James Durbin, finalist on the tenth season of American Idol
Jerry Newport, American author and mathematical savant, basis of the film Mozart and the Whale
John Elder Robison, author of Look Me in the Eye
Judy Singer, Australian disability rights activist
Liane Holliday Willey, author of Pretending to be Normal, Asperger Syndrome in the Family; Asperger syndrome advocate; education professor; and adult diagnosed with Asperger syndrome at age 35
Lizzy Clark, actress and campaigner
Luke Jackson, author
Michael Burry, US investment fund manager
Nicky Reilly, failed suicide bomber from Britain
Paddy Considine, actor
Peter Howson, Scottish painter
Phillipa "Pip" Brown (aka Ladyhawke), indie rock musician
Raymond Thompson, New Zealand scriptwriter and TV producer
Richard Borcherds, mathematician specializing in group theory and Lie algebras
Robert Durst, American real estate developer accused of murder
Robert Napper, British murderer
Satoshi Tajiri, creator and designer of Pokemon
Tim Ellis, Australian magician and author
Tim Page, Pulitzer Prize-winning critic and author
Travis Meeks, lead singer, guitarist and song writer for acoustic rock band Days of the New.
Vernon L. Smith, Nobel Laureate in Economics
William Cottrell, student who was sentenced to eight years in jail for fire-bombing SUV dealerships

Best Answer

I love how you included murderers on that list. Also, most of those people do mundane things. No Aspies have been responsible for medical breakthroughs or the likes of Hawking or Einstein.

Best Answer

Poor Linnard! Noob, troll, and shamed for the idiot he is.

Best Answer

Human beings attempt to rationalize what they cannot understand or what they cannot accept. Calling a person a troll is one of them. What an interesting specimen.

Best Answer

im interested to find what your point apart from insults? im aware of the empathy and socialisation limitations ; im also aware memory doesnt imply intelligence ; intelligence is derived from problem solving and application care to show us where intelligence is applied and is not?

Best Answer

BWAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!! My irony meter just went up like Krakatoa on that one! NOOOB!!

Best Answer

Linnard doesn't need a BS degree. He already has it.

Best Answer

Linnard is just upset because his library burned down and both of his books burned. It's particularly tragic, as he hadn't even finished coloring one of them yet.

Best Answer

Asberger's isn't so much a disability as an alternate way of thinking usually associated with a high level of intelligence, isn't it?

Best Answer

idk , i like to think so but a lot of peopel think those with disabilities especially learning differences like adhd , autistic spectrum disorders including aspergers , dyslexics ,dyspraxics etc and mental health issues have intelligence issues or are somehow abnormal and it kind of ****** me off tbh

Best Answer

Don't pay attention to them, diagram. They are just people who like to be nasty to other people, so they take any target they can find.

Best Answer

Yes, those of us with AS experience the world differently and process information differently. Many of us have savant skills as well (1 in 10). The down side is that we tend to be sensitive to stimulus and socially VERY awkward due to a demonstrated lack of mirror neurons in the brain.

Best Answer