Is it a tradition to keep, or should it be abolished? I had my ears pierced as a baby, but I don't quite agree with this practice.
MissNN MissNN 26-30, F 20 Answers Feb 16, 2012

I also disagree with it. Its more about the mom's wants and not the baby's wants and needs. If the kid decides to pierce her ears when she grows up, fine, it will be her choice. But doing it just because the mom thinks its cute? That's as wrong as children's beauty pageants.

Best Answer

I wouldn't do it. <br />
My daughter will have hers done when she asks and she hasn't yet. :-)<br />
Mine were done when i was like 3, well the first set of piercings were lol

Best Answer

I would never do anything to my hypothetical baby that would unnecessarily jeopardize her health.

Best Answer

May be wait to have his/her will, no ?

Best Answer

This is a rather touchy subject, but i have a view that ties into something genetic in my family. <br />
My father apparently had ankyloglossia, or "tongue-tie". I was born with it, and the side of my family that raised me (my mother's) never noticed. It wasn't a problem for me (never affected my speech or swallowing), but i did feel weird having such a short tongue compared to everyone else. I got braces, and when it came time to wear retainers, my tongue-tie prevented the wearing of the bottom retainer. I ended up getting a lingual frenectomy my freshman year of high school so i could keep my teeth straight and pretty, and now my tongue looks normal. I found out soon after that my friend's siblings were the same as i, and had the procedure as a child. I contemplated what i would choose should i have children in the future, and decided i would wait until they were aware of what this was all about.<br />
where am i going with such an off-topic story?<br />
For such a thing as pierced ears, it's purely cosmetic, like my reason to have that surgery. I want my children to understand that body modification is just that- modification. I want them to appreciate it, and know the pain, as well as the pleasure, of the entire experience, remembering both before and after. I don't want to wait until they are "adults" because they might miss out or feel awkward over their "differences" (during, arguably, the most painful and awkward times of their lives), petty as it all may seem to others. I just want appreciation for both sides, and understanding in their choice.

Best Answer

I don't think it's a big deal.

Best Answer

It's lame.. I gave my baby a tattoo!

Best Answer

If male circumcision is considered acceptable, then babies getting their ears pierced should be considered acceptable.<br />
I don't agree with babies getting circumcised, and I don't think that babies should get their ears pierced either but I do get confused when I hear people say that they believe in circumcising babies, but don't believe in ear-piercing. I don't think anyone has said that here, but I thought I would just mention it.<br />
I got my ears pierced when I was about 5-6 years old and I felt like a princess when it happened. Why not wait until a child is old enough to actually want their ears pierced? They will be old enough appreciate it. Some people may say that 5-6 is too young to get ears pierced, but I wanted them done and I thought I was so cool afterwards.

Best Answer

Oops, people have mentioned circumcision. I should probably read other answers before answering.

Best Answer

Yeah I agree, sometimes there are medical reasons why they have to. If thats the case, then of course its the best thing for them but if not, then just leave it for them to decide when they are adults.

Best Answer

I wish I would have done it when my daughter was a baby. Now she's 5 and wants it done but is afraid and won't do it.

Best Answer

for me it's fine, though I think it's best to let them decide when they are much at least teens.

Best Answer

good ! that way they can't say no lol and they won't be scared to do it later on. if they don't like it later they can just close it up.

Best Answer

I'll let her choose when she's older.

Best Answer

Only if it will look cool and inflict as much pain as possible while terrifying the child<br />
If not I don't really see the point of wasting an earring.

Best Answer

never liked it,although its the parents that will have to feel the guilt when it gets infected and their kids ear falls off into their bowl of rusk one morning

Best Answer

Piercing a baby's ears is a tradition in some cultures and not in others. Each family should decide for themselves whether or not to have their baby's ears pierced and everyone else should respect their decision.

Best Answer