CallMeAHuman CallMeAHuman 22-25, M 15 Answers Aug 1, 2013 in Dating & Relationships

If you have balls, ask her father first. It's just the proper thing to do, and it will earn you all the respect in the world, which you will need going forward into a marriage.

Best Answer

I really like the way you've mentioned your thoughts. Right to the point!

Best Answer

Thanks =)

Best Answer

Probably depends which culture you're living in, and whether either or both of you adhere to a specific faith. <br />
If you are Muslim, ask the father first.<br />
If both of you get to know each other's families and have an idea of whether you can get along well with your prospective in-laws, that makes a good start.<br />
This informal approach might be more useful than getting permission, approval or blessing.<br />
If partners in a marriage have similar values, it gives them a better chance of working through problems.

Best Answer

Yes, getting to know the in-laws before hand does seem to help. I've been fortunate that at least part of her family knows about me and they accept us. It just sort of makes things easier

Best Answer

Being culturally-aware is a seriously wonderful trait to have. SO few people are "genuinely" aware that different cultures strategize and handle situations differently.
**KUDOS to this post!!!** ;)

Best Answer

I'd rather him only ask me.

Best Answer

can you just propose. stop thinking so much!

Best Answer

sometimes it is best to just do and not think.

Best Answer

My fella asked my father for his blessing before proposing to me, not because he had to, but out of respect.

Best Answer

Since women are free to make their own decisions requesting a woman's hand in marriage is merely a pro forma courtesy. The social convention is to ask the family first.

Best Answer

propose to girl to make sure she will say yes, then ask for family blessing...don't need their permission just their blessing...

Best Answer

I would say ask the family first. It's always best to have their blessing/approval.

Best Answer

It depends on her family situation and her as a person. For me personally, I have a tense family situation so I would not appreciate a guy asking my parents. If I were close with my parents, then I would see it as a nice gesture, but not necessary. You really have to consider it on a person to person basis.

Best Answer

very well said. thanks for your thoughts

Best Answer

I'd be awed if my bf ask my dad first ;)

Best Answer

Her first

Best Answer

Tell your parents what you're going to do. Ask her mother and father then propose.

Best Answer

ask her

Best Answer