I notice that the new Mars lander has to have a cute name like 'curiosity' and that NASA scientists went through '7 minutes of terror' as the probe was landing--oh please, what about the 3 DAYS of terror scientists went through to bring back Apollo 13? They didn't turn it into a soap opera back then, so why does everything have to be a Reality Show now? We're such a p*ssy nation!
Southpaugh Southpaugh 18-21 4 Answers Aug 6, 2012 in Hobbies

don't be stupid. the olympic games have cost 3 times what the mars rover curiosity has cost and the return from the mars rover will be far far more lasting and enduring than any 2 week sporting holiday. I guess you approve of the 1.2 trillion dollar military budget half of which is used to provide employment for people who normally would be to stupid to get a job.

Best Answer

You're making a lot of assumptions about what I mean when I say 'more wisely'. I don't, in fact, support spending ANY public money on the Olympics, nor do I support any military spending beyond what it takes to protect our national sovereignty. It is far from certain that NASA projects couldn't be done more efficiently with private moneys, while it is a certainty that ALL government spending needs to be questioned these days and made to tow the line of fiscal responsibility. I would reduce the size of the fed. gov. by 50%, and any value left in formerly provided gov. 'services' would be bought up by private enterprise, just as is now happening with our all-but-bankrupt Post Office. Private concerns would also employ NASA scientists if the value you say exists in such projects is truly there.

Best Answer

While people are fixated on what Lady Gaga and NASA are spending the military is quietly building their own rockets and has just landed the X37 unmanned orbital vehicle which has been circling the earth for over a year. It's the old magician's trick of using blue smoke and mirrors and lots of hand waving to distract the audience from what is really happening.

Best Answer

Well, nothing would surprise me about the Military / Gov / Big Money complex and their evil shenanigans. Do you think we encountered alien spacecraft on the moon as had allegedly been reported by Apollo astronauts? An alien surveillance base on the far side of the moon is an intriguing idea.

Best Answer

No, I think the military is determined to own orbital space and eventually expand outward from there. Both the military and private industry have been showing particular interest in asteroids lately. A single asteroid dragged into near earth orbit could provide invaluable resources and the list of imports on the list of "necessary for the national defense" keep growing.

Best Answer