I remember it. It was a crisis like Salman Rushdie and "The Innocence of Muslims". All because paranoid Muslims discerned blasphemy on the treads of tires exported by a Japanese company. I recall that the company had to apologize profusely and promise to change its tire treads. It's been quite a while. I found this discussion of it. http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=46275
conceptualclarity conceptualclarity 51-55, M 6 Answers Oct 8, 2012 in Politics

Do you remember the US pastor who attracted worldwide condemnation for his threat to burn copies of the Koran ??

Best Answer

Your point is not apt. It reflects worse on Muslims than on that pastor. If somebody threatened to burn a copy of the scriptures of any religion other than Islam it would not cause a crisis of any sort.

Best Answer

....and here we go.
Of course it is not apt for you because you only want to see things one way.
Neither concept, nor clarity applies to you.

Best Answer

wow, underconstruction, I love the way you think :)

Best Answer

I believe that the salient point in this discussion is that someone who is looking for insults is bound to find them. Its a tired old story -- sorry, I couldn't resist.

Best Answer

I don't understand why the left insists on defending this unreasonable behavior. These are the most extreme conservatives in the world and pretty much represent everything that the left claims to hold in contempt. Blasphemy laws will be ridiculous because then they will want to call everything blasphemy I'm so sick of it..This comparison of radical Islam with radical Christianity is such a tremendous stretch, it's laughable.

Best Answer

radicalism of any sort is unacceptable.

Best Answer

agreed, but, I wouldn't say that radical Christianity is a threat to world peace.

Best Answer

i'm as left as you get, and i don't defend it (just sayin :D)
but i don't rule out that radical christianity can lead to things like the matthew shepherd atrocity. doesn't excuse the muslim stonings of women, though. it all sucks.

Best Answer

@Lucinnda- You're right I should be more careful not to generalize like that. Sorry.

Best Answer

The mortal wounding of Matthew Shepherd had nothing to do with Christianity. In fact the 20 /20 program of ABC News debunked the idea that he was attacked because he was a homosexual. The assailant was not a devout person, but was shacking up with his girlfriend, was himself apparently bisexual, and was on angel dust or meth when he did it. The girlfriend made up the idea it had something to do with homosexuality in the benighted idea that would help rather than hurt. I don't know what you're sorry for, puck.

Best Answer

I don't think every left wing person actually defends radical Islam, I said "The left insist.." when I should have said most of the left or some of the left.....

Best Answer

It doesn't have to be that every left-wing person is a defender of Islam for it to be reasonable for one to say the Left defends Islam.

Best Answer