The switch was a spin type. I spun it and spun it and couldn't figure out why the cast iron lamp wouldn't light. Finally, the bulb lit...weakly.....and went out. Frustrated, I went to check the cord. The lamp wasn't plugged in at all! The bulb shouldn't have lit at all! Why did the bulb light?
Rolle2323 Rolle2323 51-55, F 6 Answers Aug 4, 2012 in WTK

Tungston has a high melting point. When wrapped in a coil, it acts a resistor. When high voltage is run across this Tungston, it adds resistance to the electrical load and as a result, the Tungston gets so hot that it glows. The down side is that it is incredibly inefficient. About 80% of the electricity used goes towards generating heat.

Best Answer

All right, but where did the voltage come from that ran across the Tungston coil if the lamp wasn't plugged in?

Best Answer

The electrons in the filament are moving so quickly that they make the metal in the filament hot enough to glow.

Best Answer

Magic?

Best Answer

Mmm-Hhhmm. Next.

Best Answer

Is Uncle Fester playing practical jokes again? :)

Best Answer

spontaneous combustion?, someone flicked the switch?

Best Answer

I was alone in the house.

Best Answer

okay now that is scary. a couple of years ago there was a light in our kitchen when i came home at about 2am. as i approached the kitchen, the light went out. there was no one there, all the switches were switched off. scary s**t.

Best Answer

Well, you could look at it that way, or you could look for a practical explanation. In this instance, I am looking for confirmation that it is possible that I may have sent reverse current to the bulb by spinning the switch.

Best Answer

electricity is created by getting electrons to move. the switch does not really have the mechanical ability to create this movement. unless of course it has some sort of capacitance, or some form of magnetic ability, it is highly unlikely that this could be the cause. but good luck with finding an answer.

Best Answer