Everyone is saying "please respect my beliefs" (especially when the issue is political/religious beliefs) but how do you exactly do that when that persons beliefs goes against everything you believe? That phrase to me sounds more like "shut up, don't bother me" rather than asking respect. How do you show respect without being indifferent, tolerant, and/or downright rude to other people's beliefs?
ikhny ikhny 22-25, F 9 Answers Jun 16, 2012

Simply my accepting that other person is not bound to agree to your beliefs...he/she might have certain beliefs which is the resultant of their experiences.Respecting person's difference in opinion does not necessarily mean that you are respecting it beliefs.If you want to defer...do it in a dignified manner.

Best Answer

I don't agree with that statement. You should respect everyone! Everyone has something that is worthy of respect and that includes surviving in this cruel harsh world. All blacks are deserving of respect, just like all single mothers are deserving of respect. Why should humans have to EARN respect when everyone is not created equally? I don't dress so well because I have limited funds and people think that's a right not to respect me--WRONG. I have endured one of the most difficult lives on Earth and that is deserving of respect.<br />
It's pretty stupid to agree with a quote you haven't even thought about in detail. People that provide quotes are just human just like you and the have a brain just like you.

Best Answer

clearly you have not read the details to my question

Best Answer

You said respect is earned. How do you respect something that haven't earned your respect?. Perhaps you should modify this statement to match the details.

Best Answer

Respecting and treating with respect are different things. You don't need to be disrespectful to anyone- but don't need to respect them intellectually and morally. They can be **** people and still be treated right.

Best Answer

There are two kinds of respect.<br />
The first is basic respect for others as people, regardless of what they may believe. If we didn't have this, then no one would ever extend their hand in peace, or to try to communicate differing ideas. Mostly, people can get along no matter what their differing beliefs. This is called 'tolerance', and it is very important to give us space to learn more accurately the principles, priorities, and practices of those we don't understand well enough.<br />
The second is the kind of respect which we and others try to earn from each other every day. We try to do our best job, set a good example, and communicate clearly and honestly as much as possible. Age and accomplishment are also part of this; we should respect those who have accomplished more and / or those who have lived longer—especially given that this what we ourselves want from others. <br />
In the end, it is up to each of us as to whether we respect others no matter what the circumstances, but remembering that we generally want others to respect us is important. Hard to get it if we don't give it—it is a two way street.

Best Answer

This is a bit tricky... When someone calmly explain their very different beliefs to me, I first try to release all of my arrogance. Just because I believe something doesn't make it true. I try to respect them as just a human being. I respect that they have feelings and have lived I life that I have not. It doesn't mean that I agree with them, I just try to bond at a personally human level. :) Great question.

Best Answer

I think the main idea is to just tolerate what people believe and try not to pick at it, damn them about it or mistreat them about it and that includes calling them names like 'stupid' 'unintelligent' 'terrorist' and all that sort of thing. <br />
But I understand what you mean by respecting something that is against what you believe or stand for. In third world countries, women are second class, positioned for the pleasure of men. As a woman, I irk at such a thing becuase I have a mind, will, feelings, and a soul just any man does. But unfortunately, there are men and even women who believe in this system.

Best Answer

Don't berate them or try to change their beliefs. Unless it's a mutual discussion or debate there's really no need to try to argue your point to change someones mind. You don't need to agree. You just stay firm in your belief, and accept them for having theirs. Easy peasy.

Best Answer

Float the boat. Tell the other person that to repsect their side they have to respect your side.. otherwise 2 people on one side of the boat capsizes

Best Answer

you don't respect something that hasn't earned it... simples

Best Answer