I do not agree with the practice. It is just another way to reduce the amount of staff the supermarkets employ. They have one person there to man 12 self checkouts. When you have a checkout operative they can deal with any price queries immediately rather than you having to attract the attention of the one person who is supervising the self scan checkouts.

Best Answer

often they will not apply store offers of multiple purchases of single items as savings oriented, and you have to have a human intervention to get it right. the machines are set up to assume we are stealing, by making, literally making us put each item down on the bagging plate so they can weigh it compared to the sku number we just scanned in. some stores found the stealing done using them was so outrageous they stopped using them, completely. some stores only use them late at night or overnight, so they don't have to have but one person on checkout, regardless how busy they get, and people just have to wait their turn. <br />
watch, sometime, a half drunk person late at night using one of these. it will take 10 minutes to get a 10 item purchase done, while they screw up at the machine over and over... it would have taken 1 minute, MAYBE 2, with a human checker, but these stores are not willing to pay the salary of that person on duty to make the line actually move at more than a snails pace.<br />
AND they tell us it is for OUR convenience!! lying bastards!<br />
i refuse to use one if i have any choice at all. usually i get through the regular checkout far faster than i would have standing in like to do the self check. <br />
sigh

Best Answer

I won't deny it...I use it!<br />
I disagree with the fact that they are taking jobs away from people though.

Best Answer

I don't use them. I like people. I like the personal touch. I like my bread buried under a three pound jar of peanut butter. I refuse to use the automated checkout.

Best Answer

I actually tend to bag my own groceries regardless. One guy did it and the stuff almost didn't fit in the cart..the way I organized it before he got his grubby hands on it everything fit in nice, neat and organized. &gt;:(

Best Answer

I was kidding about the bread being buried. I always bag my own, I just don't use the self check out. I can get four bags of groceries in my one back pack,; except for the bread, that I carry separately.

Best Answer

I know about the peanut butter, that has actually happened to me before though..so..:P

Best Answer

These corporations keep eliminating peoples incomes,to make more money for themselves. I wonder where they think the people will get the money to spend to buy their products.

Best Answer

Stores that use them don't care about their customers or customer service I'll never use one have a cashier there or loose my buisiness.

Best Answer

thre crap as u have to pack the shopping yr self

Best Answer

Never use it,I prefer a live checkout operator.

Best Answer

it seems to me that they are slowly trying to loose employees putting people out of work

Best Answer

They are torture if you have a decent trolley load. The scanner / bench is too low and does your lower back in.

Best Answer