- The mother is threatening to deny visitation in direct violation of the court approved parenting plan. - The father is unable to find work in an area that still has a 25%+ unemployment rate. - The father has been unemployed for 3 years. - The father is living with a parent because of unemployment. He would be homeless otherwise, but he wishes to have a stable environment while he pursues a college degree and for those times when he has the child. - The child is never in harms way, either through actions, inactions, or words, while in the father's care. The father takes special care to make time for play, academic education, and moral lessons for the child. - The father relies on food stamps for survival, but does not partake in any other public assistance or "social" programs. - The father cannot afford a lawyer to fight for his rights. *UPDATE* Thanks to all for their input. I spoke with a law firm who was willing to help me for free. They placed a phone call to her and must've scared her good, because she called today to arrange for me to pick my son up tomorrow. I'm so EXCITED!!!!
Dragonhermit Dragonhermit 36-40, M 16 Answers Apr 30, 2012

No, aside from abuse or addiction a parent should never be denied visitation with their child.

Best Answer

Agree with tat it is important that both parents have contact with their children. Unless of course their are serious concerns

Best Answer

There is no abuse nor any addictions, other than withdrawals from not seeing the child.

Best Answer

Absolutely!

Best Answer

If it is a Court approved visitation then She is breaking the law. They don't need a lawyer to enforce the law...Depends on what state you live in they can can go to either the Sheriff's dept or Child enforcement to either have her arrested for contempt of court.<br />
In Washington State(other ones also) The mother can be given 3 days in jail for denying visitation. Once visitation is set by the court the mother cannot deny any visitation, even for non payment of support. Tell them to go to the Child enforcement in whatever state you live in and file a complaint and they will go to court for you free of charge.

Best Answer

I see no reason why being poor means you can't see your child.

Best Answer

Unfortunately, the mother equates poverty with an inability to be a decent father. Her concept of "providing" is severely limited to material things.

Best Answer

That's sad and untrue.

Best Answer

I think the main point here is :<br />
"- The mother is threatening to deny visitation in direct violation of the court approved parenting plan."<br />
If it's in violation of a Court order, go back to Court. I don't know the American system, being in the U.K., but surely you don't need a lawyer to bring the problem to the attention of the Court ? Simply a polite letter ?<br />
Good luck

Best Answer

If only a polite letter would do it! But I do thank you for your well wishes.

Best Answer

I meant a letter to the Court, not the Mother - she sounds quite unreasonable !

Best Answer

If the visitation is court ordered then there is no argument. You have the right. Are you sure it is necessary to have a lawyer to file a grievance? Your financial status may impact you suitable as a caretaker (i.e. custody) but has no bearing I am aware on visitation.

Best Answer

I was never seeking full custody. I simply want to see and spend time with my child. However, in order to force her to abide by the court's decision, I still would need to retain a lawyer to follow the proper channels.

Best Answer

No your both have a right to your child if you choose to be a part of her life. She's lucky you choiced to stay. I would hope she understands your circumstances but you need to do better to help yourself only then can you help the child. She has no right to deny you the right too see your child just for your joblessness and hardship.

Best Answer

NO WAY!!!!

Best Answer

YES WAY!!!!

Best Answer

ba<x>sed upon your scenerio it seems visitation should be permitted. If she withholds it- he should call the cops and show them the order. BUT- if there is a support order which he can no longer honor BUT he failed to have changed by the court some jurisdictions allow the custodial parent to withhold the child until arrears are paid.

Best Answer

In regards to child support, the judge actually ordered her to pay me $20 a month in child support, but her lawyer managed to get her out of that. I never fought it because I agreed that she didn't need to give me any $$.

Best Answer

Obviously the Father needs to do something for himself and Move somewhere where there are better employment rates. That way he CAN find a job and CAN support himself as well as his child.. A person can sit back as long as they want for everything else to fall in place around them .. but that will never happen. There will always be Excuses of why this is the way it is .. ect. i don't understand lack of Employment I live in a province that is in such a need for Workers !!! THESe are jobs that pay $ 20 + a hour .... There is no excuse for lazyness and relying on the word around u to allign

Best Answer

No These are not reasons to Deny the father of seeing the children !!! Although I understand her view of maybe pushing u to make the extra steps. Hey and once u move and get a job ... u can afford to go to a lawyer and then there will be no issues

Best Answer

I was wondering when one of your ilk was going to show up. You cannot compare the lack of jobs in one area with a plethora of jobs in another and say that it's simply a matter of being lazy or moving somewhere else. Being unable to locate work does not signify laziness. And it takes a lot of money to move, locate work, settle down, etc. I have not moved because I wanted to be close to my child. It has nothing to do with being lazy and waiting for a handout, as you are implying.

Best Answer

Certainly, at this point, I agree that relocating to another area would be beneficial, but again it comes down to finances. How does one move (which is a costly endeavour in the best of times) when there are simply no funds to support such a move?

Best Answer

U missed the part of No these are not reasons to hold a child from seeing their father. Unless u are psycho, have substance abuse issues or are a bad influence in other areas this is no reason to keep a child from their parent. As for jobs ... I live in a town that would higher u if you walked in the door of one of the companys at Minimum $ 25 per hour, 100 % benifits as well as RSP packages ect. They pay for you to get your tickets for the oilfield as well. They also have housing for u untill you find ur own way ect. I just do not understand why people are not talking these ops ! Ii did not mean to imply Lazy .. Although it would be allot easyer in the End .. even if finding the job and going the distance would be harder in the begining !

Best Answer

I'm not opposed to moving to find work, but you have to understand that just moving somewhere and HOPING to find work is simply not a smart move. There are major reasons why I have not moved. 1) I simply don't have the money to relocate, and 2) I wanted to be close to my child. However, if you are willing to disclose information about these "plentiful" jobs that do all those things you mentioned, then I would sincerely like to see that info and would appreciate it.

Best Answer

It would be unfair to deny a father the right to see his child on account of the fact that he is poor, unemployed & living in his parents house.<br />
The father needs help to find gainful employment & not just a job that pays $7.00 per hour with no benefits or health insurance either. I feel very bad for folks in this situation. Take Care.

Best Answer

To clarify, I am registered with all the employment agencies in the area, and although I do call every week, they have not been able to find me employment in 3 years. I am no longer able to search daily, as I live in the countryside and cannot even afford the gas to get to town.

Best Answer

This is a very tricky issue &amp; I feel very badly for you. You should not be denied the right to see your child at all due to your circumstances which seem to be very unfair for you at this point &amp; time. Just know that you are not a bad person for the situation you're in &amp; never let anyone make you feel like it either. I wish I could help you out financially &amp; otherwise. Please take care &amp; I wish you well.

Best Answer

It is a tricky issue at that. It's just that I'm sometimes amazed at how cold some people can be. I constantly hear of single mothers wishing that the Dads would be more involved in a child's life, and here I am, trying to do just that, but the mother is more interested in condemning me for my financial status. I don't think I'll ever understand.

Best Answer

Pursuit of a degree is "employment" as far as the law is concerned. Just play nice, no snide remarks- "yes, dear", "okay"... if you've no drug issues and you're currently enrolled in school, no judge will deny you parental rights as you are setting a better example than most.

Best Answer

That is part of this issue. I have bent over backwards to accommodate her, being as civil as possible during our interactions, even letting it slide when she would change the times and places at the last minute for exchanging our child. However, I've seen evidence that being a compromising person implies to the courts that you aren't as interested in your child, so I'm not sure what to do here.

Best Answer

don't compromise with the visitation. If she does try to change something then keep a record of it. Contact your local child enforcement and talk to them.They can help and also be the middle man in all of this.Personally I would also make the payments through them also for support so that there is always a record...and it is free.

Best Answer

I'm only saying to be polite to her to keep her in a mood less likely to induce long lasting bitchyness. You do still need to take as much legal action as possible. The courts will frown on the child not having its own room to sleep in. That is all. Douwant2rock has it right.

Best Answer

Sometimes, even being polite can't change a person's convictions. My son does have his own room to sleep in. I should express that my living situation is only temporary while I am earning my degree, but the thought of not seeing my boy for that long is heartbreaking.

Best Answer