more specifically, if a child has done something illegal should the parent go to jail for it instead of the child? if you answer is yes then i really want to hear from you.
thinkinglady thinkinglady 26-30 24 Answers Nov 7, 2012 in EP

I have learned something from someone about being a parent and what our children's choices are. We do not choose for our children, so if they "choose" to break the law it is on them. We cannot control what they choose to do when we aren't with them, but we can try to steer them in the right direction to not choose wrong or do bad. So, no, in all honesty, we shouldn't be responsible for what they do. If they get caught breaking the law, they will have to suffer the consequences.

Best Answer

Financially responsible, yes, go to jail responsible, no. I have seen too many truly good parents with children who simply followed the wrong crowd in order to fit in. Teenagers are simply NOT controllable by anyone other than themselves.

Best Answer

If the parents commit crimes, they are responsible for their own actions. What a child does on his own is another matter. (Could you hold an entire family responsible for Uncle Harry's beer benders?)

Best Answer

No my mother was a very good person and tried her best to raise me right. If she was in trouble every time I got in trouble it wouldn't have been fair to her. Some people think parents should be held accountable for all of their children's actions, but I think that those people are completely wrong. It's funny how many people with no children, or who have small children, who haven't stared being @$$holes yet pass so much judgement onto parents for their child's actions.

Best Answer

Yes. If a parent wishes to plead guilty to that offence, then fine. Alternatively, the crime of reckless or negligent parenting should carry a manatory jail term and the parents assets could be sold to pay for a miltary school for the kids while they are away.

Best Answer

I think they should be liable for damages in a civil action but until the child is old enough to go to juvenile court, a criminal action should just get quashed... (not necessarily the correct use of "quashed" I just love that word.)<br />
I should add-> why would you ever take a parent away from caring for their kid by putting them in jail?? That has some major public policy implications. And I highly doubt jail time is going to breed an effective parent.

Best Answer

I've never heard of such a thing- I've heard of parents being charged with neglect or lack of parental supervision or contributing to the delinquency of a minor. I think the parents should be charged with what they did in the particular case. But there are limits to that as well. If a parent can't be proven to be negligent, then the parent can't and shouldn't be charged. If a minor commits a crime, then there are punishments that can be administered, whether it's probation or being sent to juvenile hall.

Best Answer

Do you mean, should a parent be responsible for the actions of the child they are by law responsible for? YES.<br />
Does the parent need to be accountable for the consequences of the child's actions? It depends on the circumstances and the adjudication of authorities.

Best Answer

I am actually agreeing to a parent being held responsible to the crime their child has committed. A child is a minor meaning they have guardians and are not adults so if a parent is brought before the law for neglect then havent they neglected their parental duties in training and places knowledge and common sense of the way the world works into their kid? Why should a kid be sent to prison because some adult is too lazy or laid back about showing them basic principles of life and its consequences. The bible says to train up a child in the way he or she should go and when he or she is old then they would not depart from it - obviously if a child breaks the law they have not appreciated the moral ethics that they should have gotten - thats the responsibilty of the parent who also pays the bills, put food on the table then why not the idea of mental choices be a factor as a core responsibilty to their role as a parent?

Best Answer

I think we are concluding the same appointment of responsibility as one-another. I do not know ANY good parents that have had problems with their kids and the law. I am 55 so that would only be about 300 sets of parents in my lifetime.

Best Answer

lol ok.

Best Answer

To Stronggeorge: You may not know everything there is to know about those other 299 families. Trouble with the law is one of those things people like to keep to themselves. I know a couple of good families who ended up with legal problems with their children. One time situations with each of them, but it certainly never became common knowledge .

Best Answer

Classic, You are right. I would be willing to guess that some of them did have problems. A parent can do the best they can and the kids can still go astray. I just know for sure that when a parent is actively involved, the child is likely to not have trouble with the law.

Best Answer

purple, In my opinion, you are an awesome parent.

Best Answer

in most court cases a minor child's parents can be sued.. if damages are excessive.

Best Answer

Most definitely not.

Best Answer

Yes a parent is responsible for their child until their 18

Best Answer

Only if they were driving the getaway car.

Best Answer

No.

Best Answer

Hell no.

Best Answer

Definitely NOT!!!

Best Answer

Not unless the parent forced the child to do it...

Best Answer

Yup'm.

Best Answer

yes...

Best Answer

please explain.

Best Answer

if parents did a better job society would have a lot more respect.. education starts at home..

Best Answer

and parents would keep a much closer eye on their little angels knowing it was thier a$$ going to be kicked also...

Best Answer